27k miles on spark plugs abt right?

My 2000 Mazda Protege has abt 27, 000 miles on the spark plugs (copper ones I think).

The car seems to be idling rough. Is 27k on a set of plugs abt right? Time to change them out?

Also....what abt copper vs platinum plugs. Any real serious advantage to platinum plugs worthy of the extra cost?

I'm unemployed full time college student right now..so cost is an issue. I don't mind going platinum IF the extra cost is really worth it in reduced maint tho.

Reply to
me

The plugs should be fine for twice that. The plugwires may be due, though. You want the blue NGK set, about $30.

No, for a stock engine the OEM plugs are best.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Hmm..... what kind of life do plug wires usually have in miles? replace plug wires every 60k? More? Less?

Reply to
me

The OEM wires on NAs had a reputation for failing around 30k miles. The Miata fires each plug every engine revolution, not every other rev, so the dielectric breaks down twice as fast.

My blue NGKs are still working fine at 80k miles. Buy new wires--if they don't solve the problem, at least you'll have a spare set.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

He was asking about a 2000 Protege. Does it use the same setup as the miata? Also, do the NB's and NC's only fire every other rev?

Agreed. If the engine starts stumbling at all, I swap them out. If that solves the problem, I throw the old set away and get another.

I got closer to 60K or so out of my NGK's on the stock miata, and I have seen a few sets fail earlier than that.

The "fancy" red Magnecors that came with my current car are still going strong at about 40K miles.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I still vote for the NAPA lifetime wires! They replace them w/o hesitation whenever I decide it's time.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I cant see where it says anything abt life time warranty on NAPAS web page? have a link?

me

I think it'd probably be easiest to just call one of the stores. I'm assuming they are still doing it. Let us know if you find out.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo