Recirculating CO

I've had my '90B Silverstone (35k original miles) for 3 years and in that time I've only had the top up a couple of times, usually when it's too hot and I desire A/C.

On a recent short trip (top up, A/C on), I noticed an exhaust smell and felt woozy as if I was getting carbon monoxide in the cabin. This is clearly not good, especially since I plan on taking a 2500-mile trip next month. August in the deep south is gonna require A/C.

Experimenting yesterday, I found when moving the climate control for RECIRCULATING to FRESH the exhaust smell went away.

This Miata has a complete stainless steel exhaust system that was installed by the previous owner. I believe it is from Racing Beat.

Any ideas why I would be getting exhaust on RECIRCULATING but not on FRESH? Do I need to have the car checked? Is there something I can do myself to check it?

Reply to
Lobster Picnic

"Lobster Picnic" usually when it's too hot and I desire A/C.

The trunk lid gasket may be leaking exhaust gas into the car when the recirculating mode is selected. The fresh mode might pressurize the cabin enough to keep the exhaust from entering.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 00:25:08 -0500, Lobster Picnic usually when it's too hot and I desire A/C.

You are absoulutely right to be concerned, exhaust gas is nothing to fool around with.

You may be only getting exhaust gas on RECIRC, but it's quite possible that you have a leak all the time but are getting enough fresh air on FRESH so you don't notice it.

The aftermarket exhaust is a red flag. Have the car checked.

Reply to
Natman

"Chas Hurst" wrote in news:J_2dnT00S9WHcjDbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Ah. I do notice that items placed in the trunk have a very strong smell of exhaust. Is this normal? Maybe I'll keep my suitcase in the passenger seat.

Reply to
Lobster Picnic

On 2007-07-31, Lobster Picnic

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The gasket looks to be in mint condition. How would exhaust get in the TOP of the trunk, anyway, even if the gasket was leaking?

Reply to
Lobster Picnic

How about the seal around the tail lights?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

This exhaust smell in the trunk just started recently on my car. One more project.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

I would also take the 'carpet' out of the trunk and take a look around with a flashlight. Anyplace that appears to have open gaps, you could seal up with some silicone caulking (let it breathe/cure as much as possible or it'll stink you out too). Another idea would be to put a shop light around in various locations under the car (car in the dark) and look from inside the trunk for light penetrations. This might help you find openings.

Also, you say the trunk seal looks perfect but, that doesn't mean it's sealing perfect. As old as it is, it may have simply shrunk up a bit and not really be making contact with the trunk at all.

Good luck and hey, that's getting to be a very rare Miata (Silverstone & low mileage!) take good care of it!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Just curious what year your miata is. The exhaust can leak through a bad trunk gasket while the car is idling. I had to replace the hatchback seal because of this on a 280Z years ago. It did not let water in, but the exhaust smell came right through.

I replaced my 1991 trunk gasket today with one from my deceased 1996 model, it has half the miles, and less than half the use. The original 1991 gasket looks very good, but it flattens easily where the 1996 gasket feels spongy. The trunk has slight resistance now from the gasket that it did not have before.

Anyway, this took care of the trunk exhaust smell on my car. Have you figured out what is causing your's yet?

Pat

Reply to
pws