Can you id this part?

it does look like an airbag computer, but it doesn't look like the ones for a miata, or at least it is incomplete. a quick search on ebay lets you see pictures of what airbag computers for the miata looks like.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I have never heard of that one, I'll have to check it out. With very few exceptions, my favorite science fiction was written between about 1940 and 1960, and Simak is one of my favorites.

Pat

Reply to
pws

My 99% positive that it came from the 1990 miata just went way down. That miata did not have ABS. Also, did Mitsubishi make any of the electronics for the Mazda Miata?

I also found a distributor for an 8 cylinder in with the Miata parts, and I have never owned an 8 cylinder, so I have a new mystery to figure out. Hmmmmm.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oh crap, ABS, airbag, whatever. My mind is going to mush faster than Chris D. Where is he anyway?

Still wondering about this.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Thanks Chris, I am the OP, but I am not sure how to browse Ebay auctions..... ;-)

I'll figure out what it is one of these days. It's probably some part that the factory charges $300.00 for, whatever it is.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Christopher Muto

i figured it out... it is a 90-97 cruise control module.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Thanks Chris, you just did some work for me. How much do you charge? :-)

This will let me finally sell the cruise control from the 1990 model, as well as quickly identify the module that is still in my 1996 model.

To sell it as a complete system, I know that I would need to include this module, the cruise control unit itself, and the switch. Are there any parts to the cruise control system that I am not thinking of?

These should do fairly well, especially the one from the 1996 model. People seem to like the OEM cruise controls, I know that the one in my

1996 "M" edition worked great.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:0Rhah.5897$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

I don't like the early (1992) cruise control. If you stop or go below

25mph you cannot resume the previous speed, you have to reset it. It's unlike any other cruise control I've ever used and it's very annoying!

Does the 1996 work the same way?

Reply to
XS11E

My 1996 has a resume button. I had to push it anytime I used the brakes simply because that cut off the crusie control immediately, but it would accelerate back to the same speed that was set before once I hit the button.

If I had to reduce the speed of the car by say, 25% or so, I would go ahead and use the accelerator to reach the approximate speed I was previously travelling at before I resumed the cruise control, but the actual travelling speed did not have to be reset unless I turned it off completely.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to
Christopher Muto

pws wrote in news:O_iah.5941$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

So it's different. On mine, stopping or going below 25mph clears the memory and you have to get back up to speed and then set it again, resume doesn't work until it's set.

As a matter of fact, resume is pretty worthless. If I'm on cruise control at 60mph and I come up behind a slower car and need to slow down to 50 before I can pass, then resume works just fine but if I come to a construction zone or something that makes me stop or slow below

25mph the resume won't work as the memory is reset (cleared). It's an inconvenience but more importantly it's different, I've never seen or heard of a cruise control that worked that way. On other cars I've had/have the memory retains the speed until the key is turned off.
Reply to
XS11E

Uh - it could be an Event Data Recorder (EDR).

There's a kinda-scary little news report about them here:

'Black box' "YOUR EDR Could send you to - JAIL !!!!" (Aaaagggggh!)

Thank you, oh wise men in Detroit. (Xmas reference unintentional)

-- Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

OMG! That's unbelievable, I don't have the stomach (or, you know what!) to take those risks. I did watch some other, more tame runs/flights and it seems this might be more my cup of tea when there's more snow and allot less rock showing in the landscape! Awesome stuff, man, where have I been ........... TX I guess, is that a good enough excuse?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Going on foggy memory here. It is possible that I had to reset it when speeds reached that low. I used it so rarely, mainly on long-distance night drives, that I did not encounter that dropping below 25 mph situation often.

The one I have now has no cruise control. I could install one of these that I have, but this really is not a long distance car, it belongs on the racetrack.

I am still looking at the 2007 model with the folding hardtop, along with things like A/C, power steering, power windows, and the thousand other creature comforts that my current miata lacks. It will probably happen sometime in 2007 at this rate, that gives me time to see if they have recall problems with the top as well.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Definitely no joke.

'749 One interesting part of the article is the mention of toll-road tags, such as the EZ Tag system in Houston. Any car using this much more convenient system instead of paying with cash has their movements recorded using the radiofrequency identification tags on their windshields.

In California: "In the Bay Area, the FasTrak system monitors vehicles as they travel through the region. Overhead detectors log the location and time of FasTrak tags on passing vehicles. The data is encrypted to protect it from hackers, and fed into a centralized computer system. The information helps keep traffic flowing and is used to update real-time maps on the Web."

Welcome to the new world....Please leave your privacy at the door.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'll have to watch that one and see if he gets a hit at $300.00, I am doubting it. I was thinking something like $100.00.

Now I gotta go dig up the pedals assembly.

Thanks again!

Pat

Reply to
pws

No, roller coasters are thrilling enough for me. I don't need to ski/fly down the side of a rocky mountain, I'll leave that to people even more crazy than myself.

It does look like a rush.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:Uoqah.6373$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

The 2006-2007 cruise works just like any other car, not at all like the early Miatas. That's one of the first things I checked out when I drove one.

Reply to
XS11E