Can you id this part?

"McMahon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

They don't need a recorder, the Penn Turnpike did that for years and may still do so, when you entered the turnpike your entry ticket was stamped with where and when, as you exited the time and distance was calculated and if you got there too soon you were cited.

It would be a VERY simple thing to install gates at entrances and exits to any limited access road and do the same thing, they could then add a toll as well which would eliminate the "freeway*" concept, wouldn't it? :-(

*Called "freeways" because they cost the taxpayers millions of dollars per mile....
Reply to
XS11E

Holy crap! Are those people out of their minds!?! I'll get my thrills on the track, thankyouverymuch!

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

That is true on the tracking part.

In one case, a man was convicted because the EDR showed his car as doing

107 mph at the time of impact, which was recorded.

I don't have a huge problem with them as long as they are extremely accurate, remain accurate, and are very low maintenance.

What I fear, however, is a car reporting that I was doing 130 mph when I was actually doing 30 mph, or putting me at the scene of a crime when the car was never there. Considering that this information is being broadcast and can be hacked, it becomes even more frightening.

Pat

Reply to
pws

All that I was thinking was what happens if a strong wind slams them into the cliff side?

I remember watching one of those rescue shows where several rescuers got a hang glider off of a cliff side where he was stuck at great peril to themselves. This was a well-known dangerous spot to jump with warning signs.

I say, leave them hanging there. People will ignore a sign, but a decomposing corpse hanging from a nylon harness is far more likely to have a deterrent effect, plus it costs less than a sign.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Mr. Compassion, that's what they call him ;-)

Chris

99bbb
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Back when I was driving between DC and St. Louis regularly, I'd pull over for a short snooze on the PA Tpk to let the clock catch up.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

I'd make a rest stop, use the bathroom, get a snack, etc.

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Okay. So, I'm thinking here:

WHO: is re$$$ponsible for the maintenance and regular-interval calibration of this device so that it can, 'beyond reasonable doubt', be used in court-of-law.

WHAT: would be the criteria for this *very* important calibration

WHEN: would calibration be mandated. What's the interval? Once-a-week/month/year? Indeed, have independent, certified tests of EDR's been performed to make *sure* that the high standards of calibration & perfection are maintained over *entire* length of said interval? W/O question, tampering - again beyond reasonable doubt?

WHERE: would this calibration be done. Say, at a gov'mint authorized smog-check station?

HOW: Would this all BE PAID FOR? By the consumer?

Or by the industry that most profit$$$ from it. Could that po$$ibly be ... uh ...

Oh - Never mind!

-- SM

Reply to
McMahon

If it merely records GPS data, calibration would be irrelevant. E.g., OnStar knows where you are, all the time; calculating speed from its stored data is trivial. Ditto for any powered-up satnav receiver.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh yes. 'If' - the assumption conjunction.

Calculating speed from "stored data" may be trivial to some, but if you're charged with a felony, that calculation would be fateful, don't you think?

And we are ruled by dangerously silly people.

Bertrand Russell, Noble prize, mathematics, 'The Null Set' 1923:

"The infliction of cruelty is a delight to moralists, that is why they invented hell."

-- SM

Reply to
McMahon

Hey, I'm the guy that will risk my life to pull a wounded animal off of the road and take it to the vet while dozens of cars have driven by and watched it twitch. This has happened with one dog and three cats, none hit by me.

However, when an adult, (presumedly), rational human walks past signs warning of dangerous winds and launches him or herself off of a cliff wearing an expensive set of manmade wings, there is 0% compassion for them from me. The best that they can hope for is a hamburger lowered down from a fishing pole, and that would probably just be to taunt them with the aroma before I quickly reeled it back up. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws