Crazy beemers

Dunno whats up with Ebay. All I see anywhere else is people asking more and more for them... 4-5000 for R75's and R90's, 10k for R90S's...

On ebay, watched a really nice looking R100S go for only $2800. Then a questionable R100/7, that the guy "fixed himself", possible serious sun rot, "Buy this so I can go to mechanic school" and how he broke his leg, goes for $2500. $5000 buy-it-now on a low-mile R90/6 with a dumb-looking white Windjammer on it, openers was $3500/doesn't meet reserve, got one minimum bid.

I guess I can see clean or low-mile bikes going for more, but this is just all over the map. Obviously theres a cadre of people out there who thinks they can buy an orphaned R90 for $1500, change the oil, and it will be worth $5000. NOBODY that I've asked has owned the bike they're selling any longer than last spring.

All I can figure is, the people that get a good one never sell them 'til they die.

Grumpy today. See you tomorrow.

miker

Reply to
miker

Never mind... obviously THIS went to the wrong place...

miker

Reply to
miker

Alternatively, perhaps for many buyers even a good BMW turned out not to be what they'd thought they'd always wanted. Same as Corvette buyers.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Quite often the sellers have 2-3 they're keeping tho. Just a lot of buy/sell on the riff raff.

miker

Reply to
miker

Maybe not, I used the money from the sale of my 1984 R100RT to buy my

1992 Miata so doesn't that make Beemers on topic?

PS, it's nice to see someone who knows the difference between Beemers and Bimmers!

Reply to
XS11E

Have you ridden any of the heavy-flywheel bikes ('80 and earlier I think) to compare highway vibration to? I've been wanting to ask someone who's experienced both.

miker

Reply to
miker

Yes, my first BMW was a 1976 R90/6, didn't have any noticible vibration, I also had a 1977 R100S, a 1980 R100RT and the 1984 R100RT inbetween and among a K100RT which did vibrate a little at speeds that I won't admit to*! None of the twins did.

*You know I'm just imagining that, I'd never break a speed limit, that would be wrong! Gotta go now, my nose is growing...
Reply to
XS11E

I've got both !

does that make it on topic ??

Mk2.5 1.8iS & 1981 R100RS

:-)

Bob

Reply to
Robert Boswell

Might as well ask... do we have a lot of riders here?

IMO the Miata is probably the best modern car available for getting close to cycle-type fun. Just not the same view (with the low seating).

miker

Reply to
miker

My wife and I used to race dirt bikes (national enduro circuit). I tried street riding a couple of times, but sharing the road with cars was too nerve-wracking to be fun.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I think so.

Agreed, I got mine as a replacement for motorcycling when I was no longer able to ride. It's fun but it's not a satisfactory replacement, unfortunately.

Reply to
XS11E

Probably...

- Larry

'01 Aprilia Mille SL Falco '02 Honda 919 (commuter bike) '84 Interceptor 500 (small emergency backup bike and money sink) '95 Miata R, modified '02 BMW 325i (wife's commuter) '01 Caterham Superlight '72 Elden FF

Reply to
pltrgyst

I have been rear-ended 4 times in an automobile. 3 of those would have definitely injured me. Instead, zero injuries. I hit a deer in my Miata at 60mph. That would have either seriously injured me or killed me if I had been riding a two-wheeler. Again, zero injuries.

The cop that was killed while escorting Clinton in Dallas was on a motorcycle, as were two other police officers who were escorting President Bush in Nevada and Hawaii just in the last year.

I also have two friends who each have a leg pinned together after being hit by a car and using their legs as the side-impact bar.

I would consider riding a motorcycle on a roadway that only allowed other motorcycles. Sharing the road with large vehicles is so unsafe, imo, that no amount of fun could possibly make up for it.

Yeah, I know I can get creamed in my little Miata, but at least a small push from behind by a pickup truck while waiting at a stop light won't have me spilled out on the ground next to my vehicle.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I bought mine to replace a Yamaha Virago XV535. My wife won't go on the back of the bike (even though she bought it for me for my 50th birthday

5 years ago).

Still got the Yam, but will sell it once the weather warms up here in the UK.

I was a born again biker, returning after 25 years of car driving, but the traffic over here is much heavier and less considerate towards bikers these days so I've only done a couple of hundred miles on the bike in the last two years.

Once my daughter finishes at University this summer my big car will also be sold (needed to transport her belongings to and from Uni) and the Eunos will be my sole transport.

I've just taken early retirement from work, so I no longer need a car that can take passengers for work journeys either.

Hmmm, perhaps I ought to keep the bike too....

Reply to
Rob

Now, Lanny, how in the world can you say it's not fun? I always had great exciting fun riding my bike on the public streets, all the way up to the last couple of seconds when that old lady pulled her Buick out past the stop sign right in front of me.

It wasn't exactly fun wearing that foam donut around my neck for the next few months, but hey! I wasn't riding a bike at that time either, so that doesn't count against the question.

yrs jp

Reply to
johnny p.

I'd always loved sports cars (owned a couple in my younger days) but the Miata had become my realistic dream car. But you know, my wife finally relented on the Miata when I got REAL serious about getting a bike (after not having one for 20 yrs or so). I didn't do it on purpose but the bike 'got me into' my first miata!

Cool to see so many bikers here and yes, I'd say the miata is about as close as you can reasonably get to the 2 wheeled experience. Two things that always bring me back to the biking days are 1) temperature changes that you feel as you traverse elevation changes and 2) smells! Man, everything from flowers to restaurant food to wood burning fires. It's experiences that most

4 wheeled folks (with their max-AC on ALL the time) never even know exist!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

An ex-one here, had to sell my Monster a couple of years ago though.

Which is why I bought mine :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

Now be fair. That President that was killed in Dallas was in a car.

miker

Reply to
miker

I suppose that depends on your definition of reasonable, because 2 other cars spring to mind:

- Ariel Atom

- Caterham

model even has/had a motorcycle engine) I think it was the Lotus 7 (from which the Caterham is derived) that was meant as a kind of 4-wheel motorcycle.

Reply to
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

A convertable car! That PROVES their all dangerous!

I'm really surprised and a bit disappointed in Pat for posting that bit of FUD. :-(

You can get killed on a motorcycle, in a car, walking and on February

18th I got run over by a right turning Chevrolet Suburban while in a cross walk WITH a walk sign while on a mobility scooter (walking is one of the things I don't do anymore.) I wasn't hurt but the Pride Cyclone was totalled.

The estimate is over $1,800 and, since it's a discontinued model, the parts are unavailable so I'm just SOL....

Living is dangerous, being born inevitably leads to death.

Reply to
XS11E