Offical Pics of the New Miata

Agree on the arches. But you like the squared off roll hoops? I wanted roll hoops on my NB, but nothing like those. And they look too short to satisfy track and club rules.

That will certainly happen. More choices are a good thing. Maybe it'll help keep Miata prices honest.

And how anyone (not you) can call a Solstice a "booring looking Pontiac"...

Reply to
Dave

They don't look bad to me but they do seem to be there for just looks. They are too low to be functional but they seem all the rage on the 2 seaters (Boxster, Z4, TT, S2000, etc...)

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Agreed. Moreso than the NA or NB, I think the color will make a significant difference in how the new shape appears. This car should look great in white or red, but perhaps too fussy in metallics.

Overall, I like what I've seen so far. There's just enough RX-8 influence for family identity.

But the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. Or driving.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Maybe they looked at it?

Just an idea, Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

But as I was looking at the pictures of the interior I got this nagging feeling I'd seen it before. So I went out to the garage and, sure enough, it's the same as the one in my S2000.

Reply to
Craig Wagner

Well, everyone has a bad idea now and then.

cheers, Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Go to:

and follow one of the links to the Geneva Motor Show. Currently, you can click on the G.M.S. tab and then click the G.M.S. banner that shows below. From there, the Miata is the first on the list, top-left. You can get both the pictures and the article from there. HTH.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Scott Streeter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ccc1.wpi.edu:

My guess is the clear taillights will be standard. The 3, 6 & 8 all have them now. One of the aspects of Mazda's zoom-zoom image involves getting back to where you can look at a car and tell it's a Mazda because it looks like a Mazda. Not that all their cars should look alike, but they will have strong similarities accross the line.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

What a stupid idea! Instead of trying to make each car look the

*best* they can make it look, they restrict the designer to make a Miata resemble a truck.

Gee, I wonder who is managing this japanese company. Sounds to me some of their management may have spend too much time in the good ol USA and have lost a few marbles there.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Hmmm....that's been standard practice for many many decades....look at BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Chevy (current grille bar), etc.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Not to mention the crimes going on at Dodge. Does a Magnum or a Charger really need to look just like a Ram Pickup?

Reply to
The Millers

True... But if Mazda offers their "Phat Noise" 20 MG MP3 cartridge with the proprietary set up, it shouldn't be that much a problem...

;-)

- L

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

... and yet NO COMMENTS from the group on the:

-- revised gauges -- paddle-shifters -- VERY plastic center console -- shoulder speakers -- passenger-sided E-Brake or -- large-lipped nose ('specially knowing the amount of time we will be bent over it "improving" things...)

Cheers!

- L

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

The Datsun 350 Z was designed in California.

The 62 or 63? Lincoln witht he suicide doors is magnificent, and the The Avanti is one of the most gorgeous automotive designs ever. The

1st and second generation camaros are to die for, and the current 300 rules. (American designs do go overboard sometimes, such as the tail fin caddies, the egg taurus, and the current Escalade and Navigator.)

A real Ferrari has round taillights.

A BMW has kidney grills.

Every 911 looks like every other 911. Which is nothing more that a squashed, elongated Volkswagen. They tried to take the engine out the back and sales plumeted

The original NA was an uabashed copy of the Elan and styled in the US.

The fact is that cars, and roadsters in particulars, are FASHION accessories. As such, they must change Mazda stated that the new generation would be more "Japanese". The NB was too much a copy of European and American themes. Unfortunately, the Chevy Astro Van is cosidered a "hot" car is Japan.

In my opinion, the most beautiful cars are Italian, unfortunately, the Italians can't be bothered with such things as ergonomics and how are you going to get gramma in and out of the car, they are followed by the Americans and the brits. The germans should not be left alone in the design studio Look what they have done to the beatuiful Audi and they hired a brit to at BMW, the horror

Reply to
lumpen_proletariat

But when the Italians get it wrong,they get it wrong BIG STYLE,

Ferrari 212, Fiat Multipla, Alfa Romeo 166

Only their mothers could love these puppies.

Reply to
gixer

*All* Alfas are beautiful. Even the Giulia Ti.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh, I wasn't really thinking about trucks. Granted, some companies (dodge) try to include their trucks in their unified style, but my point was that Mazda has shown a definate trend in unifying the style of their cars. There are obvious similarities in style among the 3, 6, & RX-8. Like it or not, the Miata is joining that unified style. That doesn't mean that it's gonna be a "Do you want that mazda in Small, Medium or Large" type of mentality like Ford did when the Contour came out. They had the escort, contour and taurus that looked like 3 sizes of the same exact car. But it does mean that someone who isn't familiar with the Miata will be able to see one and say, "That car looks like a Mazda."

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

L Bader wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looking at the pic of the 05 guages on the MazdaUSA.com website and the pics in the GMS gallery, there's not that much diff except that the faces are orange or white on black instead of orange on white (I have a 94, so my guages are black anyway). The outter guages (fuel & temp?) are squeezed in a bit and given the silver rims, but that's pretty minor.

I'll have to see this in person before I can comment.

The brown looks AWFULL. In black, it doens't look too bad in the pics, will reserve judgement till live viewing. Don't like the proprietary stereo design, tho as someone recently said, if I can get it with the mp3 jukebox system, that will be OK.

Hmm, hadn't noticed those. Looks like we're losing a little space in that area, but it's mostly unused space anyway, so should be bad. If they're decent speakers, should be better than they ever did w/ the headrest solution.

This does seem rather odd. I think for someone who actually uses the handbrake as part of driving/racing (very small % ?) that would be an inconvenient placement. For myself, it just means it won't get caught on my cargo pants pocket anymore. And again, w/ the brown the whole area looks rediculous, but the black on black doesn't look too bad in the pics.

Not sure about this one. The hood doens't appear to come down quite as far as on the NB, but the difference appears minimal.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

Scott Hughes wrote in news:cvvdsc$p2p$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.wustl.edu:

From Mazda's site describing the unified style I referred to:

"Mazda?s design DNA as expressed in its sports cars and sports sedans"

No mention of trucks :)

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

If it doesn't fit any other car, it should be less attractive to thieves.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers