Top down, windows up. Uuughhh

I haven't tried that one yet. I do enjoy driving with the top down in the cool of the night (sometime actually cold here in southern California) with the heat on high. When it is really cold, putting the windows up is just enough to allow me to keep the top down just a little longer. When it is hot out, I like is to drive with the top up but all the windows down (including the back window). This gives the open feeling but keeps the sun off my face and neck. I also like the sound of the exhaust with the top up and that back window down.

In my opinion, do what ever makes your boat float.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Bimmer is pronounced bee-mer? (with the "e" of mer actually being a schwa) Is this a German pronunciation thing? I've oft wondered about that spelling....

Reply to
FrinkLemur

Friday, leaving work, I got out to my car, put the top down, tossed the laptop bag on the passenger seat, and was heading out of the parking lot, when it started to rain. The sky wasn't THAT dark, and I knew there was a lot of open, non-stop road ahead, so I pressed on. I only got lightly sprinkled upon, and after a couple of minutes of traffic lights, I was on the open road, and the wind was keeping most of it off me. A couple more minutes after that, and it tapered off and the sun came out.

Just a reminder: In the words of Sir Winston, "If you're going through hell ... keep going."

Reply to
FrinkLemur

In German BMW is pronounced bay-em-vay. I don't know were bimmer or beemer comes from.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Lanny, Aren't "homonyms" good to eat, like "can-a-lope" ? Or, are they more like "lay-gooms" ? :-)

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Thats just the way the BMW owners like it to be . I heard a conversation once between a few guys and in answer to what are you driving I heard "Merc" "Beemer" and a "DB" Aston Martin DB". I drive an "E"

Reply to
Col:

get a windblocker.....i got one online...and it works great.

Reply to
M & E

So what's the problem? I personally think the windows-up look is fine, and use it in cool weather, or on the freeway at 70+ mph (really cuts buffetting and the noise from trucks). Radio is a lot easier to hear with the windows up also. I've got the factory windblocker, and use than as well. With both windows and blocker up, loose paper set on the passenger seat doesn't move.

I seem to recall a photo shoot in a magazine (Road & Track?) from the sixties, showing a Maserati Mistral convertible with the window-up look. If you can do it on a Maser, surely you can on a Miata.

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

Reply to
Jim Untch

Once upon a time when I had a Miata, I did run with the top down and the window or windows up in the following situations:

1) Highway driving on a sunny day. I was sure as hell not going to put the top up but wind noise does get annoying when you're travelling at 120km+. So, top down, both windows up, CD blasting. 2) Top down driving at -28C in a blizzard. It's still possible to drive top down so natch, it was down, but heat does present a need. If the windows are up and the windblocker up and the heaters on furnace and the fans on hurricane, the cockpit would become a little warm nest in the middle of a howling snowstorm. I used to like impressing people. 3) Self confidence. Basically I do what I like when I see the need, and to hell with what outsiders think. My image doesn't depend on other's perceptions and if I chose to run with the windows up and the top down, it's nobody's business why.

But that was when I had a Miata. *snif*

Reply to
Nora

And someday I'm sure you will, Nora. I'll go so far as to bet your next baby has already been made. Jim Jim's Miata Web Page

Reply to
Jim

Dear "snif snif" (Nora)

No new play toy yet ???? How sad!!! The sun and the shine are near ! Get those guys on the ball and get a Miata soon !

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Come to Florida. I'll let you borrow mine for a day or two.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
johnny phenothiazine

Thanks for the cheering up efforts, guys/gals/others.

At least I attended RATG4 and got to ride in a spiffy really shiny RED Miata up and down Deals Gap and surrounding territory, relieving my Miata withdrawal symptoms.

The parameters for the next Miata are being pondered on as I type. Has to be 2001 or later so the computer-key combination is there; Has to be either silver or crystal blue; Has to have a hard top and the associated Frankenstein bolts; Has to be an A/T. All the rest is optional but it would be nice if there was no leather.

I have no idea how much the insurance is willing to fund. We'll see.

At least we got the Forester back thanks to Boomerang 2. It's covered in fingerprint powder and grease pencil evidence marks and is being re-assembled by Subaru now.

Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and The Rollerskate (imagine a '99 silver Miata here, MISSING IN ACTION)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR-5 pix
M'sters spring run maps

Miata

Reply to
Nora

I was already wondering why the thread was marked "ignore" by agent.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Um, Nora...

Keep looking. You will find one. :)

And when the brain cells thaw, you will recognize that a white one is faster and better looking. Also looks great in blizzards.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Um, Leon...

You can't find a white Miata in a blizzard. It's like the white cat in a snowstorm. Unless you leave the lights on all the time. :-)

Reply to
Nora

Wow! Talk about stealth!

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Nora, I like your style!!

Hot summers in Texas are not good on leather. Doesn't get cold enough for a hard top.

JohnnyA

2004 Silver, A/T,Cloth
Reply to
johnnya

Not good on leather? My '95 M is on its tenth hot midwest summer and just rolled over 101k miles. The leather looks like new yet.

Reply to
tooloud