Towing Miata 4-Down

I have done quite abit of research on this - Getting ready to do this with a 2005 Miata 6-spd. Everything that I have read indicates that the

6-spd transmission was redesigned (or is a different design) than the 5-spd and should have less lubrication problems when towed. Have corresponded with a gentleman who has towed a 2004 5-spd for 9K miles and not had a problem. Aside from the "Mazda says No" is there any other experience or information on this subject that I did not find on miata.net, the miata mailing list, etc.

TIA -

Michael

Reply to
mickey53usa

Some things to consider: One time vs repeated towing You can disconnect the driveshaft and secure it to the Rail that ties the tranny and differential together. This will make a noticable difference in fuel use by the towing vehicle of towing long distance.

The driveshaft can be cut and a disconnect coupling added.

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck,

Why do all that ?

Tim

---------------------------------

Reply to
Healeyman

The coupling method is favored among those that tow but do not trailer behind an RV. The driveshat disconnect method is cheap (no cost) and at the very least improves mileage of the towing vehicle, since it does not have the additional load of the transmission internals. It's also common to use with automatic transmissions.

If I were towing my Miata over the usual distances of 5 to 8 hundred miles that I travel, I would at least disconnect the drive shaft.

Reply to
Chuck

Thanks for the input.

I checked with REMCO regard> The coupling method is favored among those that tow but do not trailer > behind an RV.

Reply to
mickey53usa