Where do NA and NB come from?

I asked this question in a posting at the tail end of another thread, but I didn't get an answer.

I know that NA is 1st gen Miata and NB is 2nd gen, but where do these initials come from? Is it from the VIN or...?

Thanks, John McClary ('94 Miata, NA)

jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John McClary

From (the first two letters of) the factory model designations.

M1 and M2 are just nick names, as is Mk1 and Mk2.

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

I just sold my 95 and it had the "NA" in the VIN. I replaced it with an 03 SE and it has the "NB" in the VIN.

Reply to
Clark Friedrichs

Right, it does relate to the VIN. Just an easy short cut / slang really.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo