Bosch Rebuilt Starter Problems???

My 380sl wouldn't start in P or N a couple of weeks ago, even though the battery was good and the usual dashboard lights came on when I turned the key. However, it started right up after i wacked the starter. So, after a lot of difficulty getting the top bolt out, i managed to replace the starter with a Bosch rebuilt.

That starter worked great until a few days ago when i tried to start the car, and it exhibited the same symptoms it did with my old starter. After 2 or 3 tries, however, it started, even though i didn't hit it this time, and it's been fine ever since.

My question is: should i return the starter, and get another one before it gets too cold to work outside? Or should i look for another problem? Since i don't know how reliable Bosch rebuilt starters are, i can't assess the probability that it's the starter, rather than something else, especially since wacking the old one started it up.

Thanks very much for any advice on this.

Reply to
Todd Burns

Before attacking this starter be sure that the neutral safety switch is OK. That means the next "no start" instance you ought to move the shifter through its full range and try to start in N as well as P.

Also, be suspicious of any battery > 4 years old.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Could it be the Solenoid? Is this separate to the starter and was it changed?

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I would make sure the connections are tight and have been coated lightly with dielectric grease.

Reply to
me

Ditto on neitral safety switch. Also the overload protection relay.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
love-123s

After 15 years on my '83 300CD, the starter went. First time I was ever stranded. Had a Bosch rebuilt put in, lasted 2 months. Was replaced for free with another rebuilt after being stranded a second time, but went AGAIN after about 4 months. Not happy. I was suspecting an electrical problem possibly frying the starter but all checked out OK and a NEW starter was put in.

5 years later, still starting fine.

Now I am not saying I would never recommend Bosch or rebuilds, but that was my experience.

Reply to
monah302