MGC GT Clutch System

Hello

I'm the lucky inheritor of a 1969 MGC GT which has been sitting in a garage since about 1980. Over the last few months I've been making occasional visits to it to inspect what needs doing, and last weekend got the engine firing and almost spinning under its own steam.

The brake system seems basically ok (a few cylinders to replace) but the clutch is the current problem. After its period of rest, the clutch fluid seems to have turned into something resembling foam and the clutch master cylinder doesn't seem particularly interested in moving.

Where possible I intend to repair rather than replace the bits in this car, and to that end would be interested in knowing it anyone has any tips on how to clean out and refurbish this cylinder. I've currently got it sitting in petrol, to try and dissolve the clutch fluid fur, but maybe there's something better. I have access to pretty much any tool required and can also rebuild o-ring seals of any size and diameter.

Thanks in advance

Nick Bailey

Reply to
Nick Bailey

Brake fluid is water soluble - hence your problems - if its been sitting for some considerable time then all the cylinders will need removing and restoring. They rust!

Remove and take all of them to a brake place and have them hone and inspect them for any corrosion.

Have the pitted ones either re sleeved or replaced. You can fit new seals yourself to the honed ones.

Your clutch plate may also be stuck/rusted to the flywheel or P/Plate and will not release.

Reply to
me