CD changer - Dealer or after market

Seems the dealer wants 150% of the after market cost for the CD changer. I see them on the web for $330 while the dealer wanted $592 and an additional $170 installed. Anyone else go for the after market vs. dealer?

Reply to
Grinder

I sourced an MP3 Head unit and took it to my dealer before the car turned up. They fitted for £20 :)

Forget the boot changer. You can get an MP3 head unit as you can fit 12 CDs worth on each disk at 128bps. Save you the boot space as well

Reply to
Warren

Sounds too good to be true. I would make sure the new head works with the steering wheel controls (if you have them). There are after market CD changers that work with the Steering wheel controls and also work with MP3 (if MP3's are any interest to you) but there is no way that you can get them for less than 20 Pounds but I'll bet you can get them and have them installed for less than the $500 for the BMW unit (that does not work with MP3's). I have the Alpine system installed in my car and it works great with

6 MP3 CD's (about 700 songs available at one time). Check out the MP3 head unit, I would buy it in a second at $30 US and in fact would happily pay $100 for the unit if it worked with my steering wheel.

Puffer

Reply to
Puffer Bradley

Sorry, Looks like it came out wrong...

The fitting was only £20. The unit I got was the Sony MP40 head unit. Not sure if it works with the wheel controls but then I don't have wheel controls so not an issue :) The head unit was only £160, Gives more power output than the Radio/CD Boost option so this all save me loads as I didn't need the boost option or the multi changer. I now have 4 CDRs in the car with 48 CDs worth of music to pick from.

Hope that helps

Warren

Reply to
Warren

I did mine even easier. Bought a 10GB Archos Jukebox and installed the Aux port for the Head unit. Total price Archos $149 + Aux port install $60.

Reply to
flyline

Nice.

Now I have gone MP3 I would never fit another multi changer in a car.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

I hate to be a total dummy but it always seems to happen. How do you maintain the music on your Disk? Does the 10 Gig disk come out of the unit so you can hook it up to your computer or do you move the songs onto the disk with CD's (or other removable media). Can you set up subdirectories for categories of music and if so can you randomly play that category and can you shuttle thru the whole disk? Where did you mount the unit? Seems like it could be a perfect solution.

Reply to
Puffer Bradley

In essence you have a portable, rechargeable computer hard drive. You download music, which you can do in subdirectories just like on a computer. You can also choose a search function, volume level, shuffle and random features through the hard drive's software and mechanical interface. You download songs to the device via USB or Firewire depending on your computer. It actually shows up as another drive on your computer. The rechargeable batteries in the Archos last 6 hours or so, at least on mine, before they must be recharged via AC Adaptor. DC Adaptor's are available but I did not want to add a lighter plug to my S, and 6 hours is plenty of music before I need a recharge break.

The Aux Port is in the glove compartment. The unit sits in the neoprene case in which it came. A male to male mini cable runs from the Line Out to the Aux Port. The Aux Volume Level is adjusted through the HK head unit.

Reply to
flyline

"Warren" wrote in news:bks0g8$qh6$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

I went with an mp3 deck and STILL fitted a multi-changer - a 6-disc MP3 multichanger that is. Seven discs total filled with MP3s ain't bad...

Reply to
Rilian