new mini shop needs a name!

Bigger than God , only in their eyes. People in the U.S. burned their records , when Lennon announced the beatles as being bigger than God. As far as the other music that you are talking about, sort of a long time ago, don't you think. Old has beens, like your outdated car.

Reply to
Madmax

Well like they said in The Beatles spoof called "The Ruttles" which really was Monty Pythons take on The Beatles, Americans bought Ruttles/Beatles records to burn them, so record sales went through the roof! But no The Beatles were huge all around the world, so yes they were as big if not bigger than God back then i'd say and they were damned talented too, just look at their back catalogue and number one hits!

As for the other music, well I was just refering to the American stuff I like, which yes tends to be from the 1960's too as I don't particularly like anything else that came from your country in later years, but as your a mere child you'd probably know nothing about bands like The Doors or Jefferson Airplane?

Oh and my car isn't outdated and probably never will be as the majority of cars on the road today are based on the Mini, but none are packaged quite so well and few are as much fun or exciting to drive!

Reply to
Taffy

Oh yes so you can poke fun at the silly sodding Muslims who get all upset over a couple of cartoons (well did we get upset after Monty Pythons Life Of Brain? God no, we just fell about laughing!) but you consider burning Beatles records correct for their claim on being bigger than Jesus/God?

Reply to
Taffy

A mere child huh? I listened to Jim Morrison and Grace Slick, back in the day. I just grew with the music and now listen to better stuff. Obviously you are not a God fearing man, may you rot in hell. Perhaps in your little mind, the beatles were more powerful and popular than God. But again, you would be wrong.

Reply to
Madmax

If people want to burn records, which they did, more power to them. Non violent disposal of unwanted junk. And yes, when someone is so full of shit as John Lennon, I would never buy any product made by him.

Reply to
Madmax

NICE one Taffy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ...nostalgia ..................like a breath of fresh air,,,,,,,,,, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Nostalgia? I think you guys need to check into a convalescent home and buy a walker.

Reply to
madmax

No i'm not a particularly God fearing man, because if there was a God, things like 911 for instance surely wouldn't have happened? And religion and beliefs have been responsible for some of the worst wars, terrorist attacks and events in history!

So when you get a group of talented young men together like The Beatles who spread rather a lot of peace and love around the world, without the need for any form of religious cults or violence, then I consider them bigger and better than God or any religious nonsense I think?

Reply to
Taffy

But that's just it, it a was violent action as the bloody stupid backward moronic Klu Klux Klan incited it and it's because of their stupid threats that The Beatles quit touring too.

Well maybe you wouldn't buy anything by John Lennon, but who cares as millions upon millions of Beatles and John Lennon records have sold over the years, so I'm sure it's of no loss to the world, but like I said apart from music and bands from the 1960's (most of who were influenced by The Beatles anyway) I really don't like much music that has come out of the USA since. Well most of it sounds like Spinal Tap stuff and is pretty crap!

And lastly John Lennon was definitely not full of shit, for starters he was against the pointless Vietnam war and it's a great loss that he was murdered back in 1980. But then when your bigger than God, you really shouldn't walk about in public, especially after dark in New York City!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

That explains a lot about your problems......

Actually they were involved, very heavily, in a religious cult. As far as spreading peace and love, don't forget about them also spreading drug use to the youth of the world.

Reply to
Madmax

Well how old are you Madmax, or Mark or whatever your name is as it appears you are really a mere child. As for me well I was born in the 1960's, but I can appreciate things of merit and quality regardless of their age and if you call that nostalgia, then so be it!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I haven't got any problems mate, I can assure you i'm a very happy well rounded person as it happens!

What religious cult was that, oh the Guru Yogi bloke? Well that was just Hippy stuff and nonsense and they soon sussed him out to be a fraud and as for spreading drugs, well it wasn't until they toured the USA and met people like Bob Dylan that even got into drugs in the first place (when it came to taking drugs, most bands did and still do indulge and The Beatles certainly didn't spread drug use to the youth of the world, well it didn't make me take to drugs for starters!). Still LSD did help with the Sgt Peppers album (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds?), but then many creative people had/have their hang ups I guess?

Anyway your a fine one to talk as you admit to smoking pot or whatever in your pipe! So don't go passing judgement when your certainly not perfect yourself mate!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

The KKK threating the beatles...hmmm, OK. The reason they quite touring was because the band fell apart. Which it had to do, because the members were so full of themselves they could no longer work together.

Reply to
Madmax

I didn't call it nostalgia, Fitzy did. I was just saying that you are a "has been", living in the past. And if you think of me as a child, I would like to thank you for the compliment.

Reply to
Madmax

Sounds like you are trying to say that you are pleasantly plump.

So basically what you are saying is that the beatles were weak minded. Following fraud religion and because other celebrities were using drugs, they should also. Sounds about right. Anyway I'm really tired of you, so you may have the last word. Goodbye.

Reply to
Madmax

No I live very much for today, but I do appreciate certain good things like say The Beatles from the past, but although I own all their albums on CD, I rarely listen them now. And calling you a child wasn't meant as a compliment, no it really meant you have little experience of the world and things of historical significance.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

No they weren't weak minded, they were just following the Hippie dream like most people were back then, but once they sussed that Guru was a fraud, they appeared on TV to say that they'd made a big mistake, oh and John Lennon even apologized for his comment on being bigger than God too! So they experimented with drugs, big deal, but they weren't casualties of the substance like say poor Jimi Hendrix, so really when stars like him die from drugs, surely this can be seen as a warning to stay away from the stuff now?

So your tired of me eh? Or are you really tired of the fact that you know very little and don't like being proven wrong? Anyway goodbye too!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

No the real other reason they quite touring is so they could spend more time in the studio creating successful albums like Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Yellow Submarine, Let It Be and Abbey Road etc! Hardly a band falling apart really!

And they weren't full of themselves (well Paul McCartney is a bit now) at all, they'd just grown tired of being a group (they'd been together for years after all) and their partners were getting in the way too as John was more interested in spending time with Yoko Ono than with the rest of the band.

Anyway they were a 1960's phenomenon and they knew when to call it a day, but they continue to inspire other acts even today.

Reply to
Taffy

This is really getting rather a long way off topic from the fact that the Beatles were all Mini enthusiasts, but still.... the Beatles split up long after they had stopped touring. The main reason they stopped touring was musical.... because of the hysteria they couldn't hear themselves play, were rushed from venue to venue without time to practice, and were simply not playing well. They hated the fact that nobody was listening and nobody cared, particularly as they had been one of the best live bands in the world before ever making records. (If you doubt that, you can get a sense of just how good they were live in Hambury and Liverpool from the early BBC live radio recordings.) That's why they went into the studio and produced the greatest studio albums ever. The break up came years later, paradoxically at a time when they were again considering playing live.

Also, John Lennon never said the Beatles were bigger than God, he said they were bigger than Jesus. This was an off-the-cuff remark and referred to their enormous popularity at the time, not their spiritual importance. Unfortunately, this was taken out of context by the type of small-minded fundamentalists who infect all the world's religions and hyped into an 'issue'. Despite the well-publicised, staged demonstations at the time, it had zero long-term effect on the Beatles' poopularity or the sales of their records. All the above is very well documented in the serious biographies. There really is no excuse for getting it wrong.

Reply to
David Betts

Well I think Madmax has now given up because as usual he can't take being proven wrong. Anyway John Lennon was nice enough to publicly apologize for the comment he made (which as you said was an off-the-cuff remark, which as ever the media used to create a storm), oh and after that comment it's said that Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones said that "if The Beatles are bigger than Jesus, then we're bigger than the Anti-Christ!", anyway nobody seemed bothered about that! And anyway nobody would be bothered if a rock band claimed they were bigger than Jesus or God or whoever these days and even if they did cause offence and upset, most rockers today would refuse to apologize and just tell everyone where to go!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy