90 Talon wont crank

Hi; I have a 90 Talon that wont crank. When you turn the key to start, you can here the relay click but it wont turn over. I removed the clutch safety and it is OK. I also removed the starter relay. If I jump the starter relay with a jumper wire, it will start up and run fine. Is there any other fuses or relays to check other than the starter relay near the fuse box?

Thanks for any help

Reply to
komobu

The click you hear is probably the MPI relay (6x4x4cm can) behind the center console, RHS above the radio, not the starter relay. Check that the starter relay is being energized when you turn the IGN key.

The MPI relay provides the power to a lot of circuits, including the ECU, fuel pump and as I recall the starter relay as well. They do fail or internal wires corrode. With some care you can get the top off the can and fix the relay, otherwise just find another one a a wrecker.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS