97 Montero - no headlights!

I just bought a 97 Montero and the headlights do not work. Bulbs are good, and the fuse for headlights in the engine compartment box is good. I checked with a multimeter and there's no power to the bulb connector.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rod

Reply to
buddyboy

snipped-for-privacy@idcomm.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@idcomm.com:

Same problem on 3k GT. Fuse under dash good. On 3k there's a good size relay compartment under the hood. Open plastic cover. Bunch of relays maybe an inch square and a couple of inches long. If the one for the headlamp (it's printed what each is) is the same P/N as one of the others, swap and see what happens. Ain't cheap, $15-30.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I had a similar problem on a my 1997 Magna. It turned out to be a broken wire in the wiring harness. Cost A$340 to track it down and fix it.

Reply to
ThomasNews

Had the same thing happen on an '82 Corona once. Was the relay.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

Thanks, that was it. I had 5 relays (8 sockets, 3 unused) of 3 different kinds, but the manual doesn't document them as it does with the fused and fusible links.

Went to my local u-pull-it and got a couple spares of each kind - only $3 for all. (dealer wanted $26 each)

If anyone's interested here's the layout, 2 columns of 4 looking from the left side of the car:

1 5 2 6 3 7 4 8

1, 5, and 3 are unused. 2 is the headlight relay.

Anyone know what the other 4 are for?

Reply to
buddyboy

snipped-for-privacy@idcomm.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@idcomm.com:

Excellent!

Three bucks for all of them? Anyone have any idea what Mitsu's have a shot at having the same ones as a 96 3kGT? Won't be many of them in the junk yard - not here anyway.

Reply to
Al Bundy