Hesitation in rain: HELP

My 1995 Nissan Sentra hesitates in the rain, after going through large mud puddles, and in dense fog. If it's humid outside but not raining I can drive about 40 miles with no trouble. In a hard rain I get about 5 miles. Then the car begins to hesitate, sometimes like violent hiccupping. It gradually slows to a stop as I downshift. Giving it more gas aggravates the problem. I can start the car again right away, but it won't go more than a quarter of a mile at a time, still with this hiccupping. I have to let it sit for a while before it will run again. I don't have this problem at all on a dry day.

I've changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap.

What could the problem be? How can I get it diagnosed? Am I better off going to a place like VIP (sometimes I wonder how experienced their technicians are) or to a small local garage (their mechanics are experienced but they have to order parts).

WILL APPPRECIATE ADVICE!!! THANK YOU!!!

-- Mike

's Profile:
this thread:

Mike

I had a similar problem with my 1987 Pathfinder VG30 engine back in

1996. After replac>
Reply to
Monte B. Carroll