A modification post

Apologies for the OT.

I just bought this :)

:-p Collecting it in two weeks.

Reply to
Iridium

This is completely OFF-TOPIC for this group I think you should read the charter!

Can you believe some people :)

Reply to
James

Something in my mild steel exhaust rattles. Is this an excuse to get something shiny do you think?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes. It's Jap so there will be all manner of options I should imagine.

Reply to
Iridium

Great heavens, a Lithuanian harmonium, they are very rare you know.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can you play onr yet?

Reply to
Burgerman

Define "play" or ask his neighbours. ;)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Allegedly it's not meant to be any louder when pootling than a stock one. Of course, if I come into my street 'on song' it might be a bit louder hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

Is that a mouth organ?

:)

Oooh ready for the Wet Wang Chippie meet.

When the Saab was serviced, they told me the exhaust was corroded. "Oh goodo" I replied, "I like turbodiesels with less restrictive exhausts."

Might be able to get a diesel injector kit for extra soot too...

Reply to
DervMan

I just showed my Missus. She said 'is it some sort of vacuum cleaner?'

Reply to
PC Paul

I take that as a compliment :D

Reply to
Iridium

Indeed it will!

You know it makes sense :-p. What kinda power figures does the simple tweakage give with the Saab? K-Tec claim 5-10bhp from said backbox - now usually I think power claims from an exhaust are c*ck, but at least to be fair to this one, the design is significantly different to the standard back box. See here, the standard box is on the floor as well -

Iridium

I preferred the other one...

Whether it's less restrictive or not depends what's inside the old one, doesn't it? I know in all likelihood it's a bit of pierced pipe with wadding in, but it *might* be a nice free flowing shaped empty space in there...

Reply to
PC Paul

I know what you mean: the Elise also has a stainless "performance" exhaust. Quiet at low rpm as the original but it sounds like a bomber on full chat. I am not into "noice art" but the Elise at speed resonating through a tunnel is something special.

What I don't like on your (and most aftermarket) exhausts are the endtips. They are seem very bling to me. I always ask myself if they wanted a bigger endtube why not putting a bigger in from the beginning. I have cut the endcaps off : weight consciencous I am. ;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Try and find a Hirsch system if you can.

Reply to
Elder

With the variable VP44 unit I have, it's claimed to go from 115 -> 140 bhp,

192 -> 233 lbsft with the unit at 7/10. I have not put the car onto a rolling road, but it sure as hell makes a huge difference with it tweaked up to 7. It's usually set to 1 - 2 to give a little increase in power but no extra soot: at 7 it soots like a good 'un, which I think is great :-) but I suspect Mr. MOT doesn't.

With the tyres I have on there and the unit at >5 it's no quicker until I'm in fourth gear, it just wheelspins the extra power away...

For exhausts, you get the same changes with a diesel as with a turbo. But the bigger the pipe, the slower the gasses coming out, the more noise. I'd not want any change in the diameter; I use the 9-3 on the motorway most of the time and if I wasn't careful it'd grate very easily.

Besides the 9-3 is supposed to be a safe, boring commuter nail... ;)

You should put the Clio on a rolling road now and then after fitted, eh?

Reply to
DervMan

I love driving through tunnels in the SD1. Makes me giggle like a little child!

Agreed. Like this :)

Carl Gibbs

Maybe if they do one for the 2.2 TiD, but it will be £££. And I have an excellent PowerFlow dealer not _too_ far from me. Okay so it's like in Hull, but that's hardly far... :)

Reply to
DervMan

LOL! Looks like the 2.2.

Reply to
DervMan

That's a Mk2 standard box though, same shape as mine but mine is yucky mild steel, and very much on show :)

Reply to
Iridium