Brake comparison.

Peugeot 106 - circa 800kg - ~60bhp - top vs Mazda MX-5 - circa 1100kg - ~145bhp - bottom

In the flesh, the 106s brakes looked puny enough to make me giggle out loud.

Today I replaced the 106s radiator and went looking at some other stuff, including the condition of the brakes.

The NSF disk doesn't run true and the Hub nut has been reused. Found some Scotchloks on the intermittently US non-OE skoosher pump.

Pesky bodgers!

Anyway, it's now immobilised because the new rad has a different cap fitting to the old one and a new cap wasn't supplied with the new rad. Might try the Scrappy tomorrow, or perhaps just buy a new cap on Monday.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Durr. The MX-5 Brake disc is obviously the top one.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Odd. Never seen a three-stud MX-5 before.

Do they _work_, though?

Reply to
Adrian

Arrr !! You have a woman's hands. I'll wager these dainty pinkies have never weighed anchor in a storm etc.....

Bob Sherunckle

Will a Mk2 Golf expansion tank cap do?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Capri non V6 ones are embarrassing.

Reply to
Conor

GLOL!

If the diameter and thread pitch are the same as the brake fluid reservoir cap I'll have it!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:41:37 +0000, Conor spouted:

The V6 ones aren't that much less embarrasing..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

After a fashion.

They're 'adequate sufficiency' compared to my Mazda's 'quite good actually'.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

How big are they? Mine on the Vee were 330mm discs in the AP Racing 4 pots on the front and 300mm on the back.

17s were needed, with a weird offset to fit them behind.

- I just like that photo hehe. The R27s were small, 312mm iirc, but Brembo 4 pots and were miles better than any brakes I've felt on a road car, including a previous gen M5 and M3 and also a DC5 Intergra Type-R (which was an amazing machine, truely capable of a load more than most things out there. The R27s brakes do 100-0 in like, 4.1 seconds, which is faster than an Audi R8, Audi RS6 or, and this surprised me, a Ferrari F430 Scuderia which takes an appauling 4.9 seconds!

Reply to
DanB

> - 17s were needed, with a weird offset to fit them behind.>

I drove a big Brabus E class a couple of years ago that had 12 pot front calipers, 8 pot rears and hyuuuuge discs. Went like f*ck, but the thing that jumps to mind about it is the brakes. Ariel Atoms stop rather well, but that EV12 once the brakes were properly warm would have sent time itself hurtling into the screen with a surprised look on its face.

Reply to
Pete M

EV12. Now that's proper family motoring with a finger up to the environmentalists.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

LOL! Do you still have your spare?

-- The DervMan

DervMan

It would be for me. I'd be trying to break 35 mpg and therefore saving the planet from those trying to bend the 155 limiter! ;-)

-- The DervMan

DervMan

My old AX ones were OK, and beefier than an old Fords - puny 240 inch jobs that had to stop everything from a 950 fez to a sierra.....

Reply to
john

240 inch brakes discs ?

'kinell....

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh. The brakes on the aircraft that I deal with are pretty tiny relative to the size of thing they are stopping. They look bit like motorbike clutches and seem to work pretty good.

They get damned hot though. Chocking the buggers can be a mite dangerous.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Dunno. The 106s brakes are just mini. 247mm or something. I replaced the old ones today.

Hmm, I suspect there's more to braking than the size of the discs and the 100-0 times.

For a start, I'd struggle to get the 106 to 100mph. Don't think its tyres are rated for that speed. Using the MX-5 as a tow car, I suspect the brakes would set themselves on fire by the time I got down to about

40mph.

A car with 155 width tyres is never going to stop blisteringly quickly.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Oh dear god, they let you loose with the business end of planes? :O

Reply to
Elder

Suspect another of this parish will be along to point out a certain test of brakes :-)

Reply to
Clive George