Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Extremely likly therories. Bit like the theory of evolution, but anyone that doesent believe it is a real dinosaur (pun intended) like you with your head in the sand.

My original post seems to have stood up pretty well so far.

Reply to
Burgerman

That's what the (drool - sorry, did I say that out loud?) XJR is for ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Until you have *evidence* that the *theory* is correct, then nothing has stood up at all.

Reply to
SteveH
[...]

Utility is no substitute for luxury. :)

(pass the pomegranate pipper please)

Alistair J Murray

Do you believe in evolution? All the evidence points to it being correct but its not actually been proven.

Please answer I am facinated by your "logic" !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Burgerman

That's a theory that we *can't* prove, and I'm sure will be proven to be wildly incorrect at some point in the future (in 1000 years time they'll be laughing at the 'primitive' theories we had - just like all other theories of such nature have been found to be a load of s**te as knowledge and technology improves).

However, the theory of a diesel engine wearing out faster than a petrol engine is, supposedly,a provable theory. Only there's no proof yet been brought forward to show the group. So, until there is, it will remain a paper theory only. HTH.

I'm puzzled as you why you have to grasp at the straws of the theory of evolution as you fail to provide evidence that the theory behind why a diesel might possibly wear out faster could be true.

Reply to
SteveH

Yebbut there's evidence for the TOE. Show us the evidence to support your theories.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

YES or NO, you didnt say (again?)

Ok forget the extra stress, causing thinner oil filf etc and how the oil gets black.... You obviously wont understand that part anyway

Take some 3000 mile oil black carbon soaked oil from your engine and some of the lovely clean oil from my van engine at the same milage.

Get a standard wear test aparatus (rotating bar and block of metal and a wieght, Lube one with clean oil, lube the other with abrasive dirty oil and see which one will wear the fastest in say 10 hours with a few kg on each.

What do YOU expect the result to be? Omly an idiot would expect the carbon loaded oil to perform better! The dirty oil experiment hs been done countless times by students, oil companies etc. The results are known so we dont need to run it again.

And remember that the diesel has much bigger loads on piston sides and crank as well which can only make it worse.

Tell me you can at least understand this simple basic thing!

And then there are 5 or 6 other things that wear diesels faster.

Dont tell me diesels are built stronger because in many cases the same crank and bottom end is used...

As shown above even a simpleton mechanic could grasp that! Your IQ must be amazing....

Reply to
Burgerman

I can prove that dirty carbon loaded oil accelerates engine wear easily enough but its so obvious it does not need to be re tested. Oil companies and manufacturers have tested this to death!

Reply to
Burgerman

Erm, this has absolutely *f*ck all* to do with the subject! Smacks of desperation on your part, I'm afraid.

But the above example produces such negligible wear that it would be almost impossible to measure! Even given some measurement which may or may not show extra wear it'll be so small as to be totally negilible in terms of engine longevity. Hence the number of high mileage diesels still on the road.

No, what you've posted is an entirely negligible measurement that could possibly, if repeated over a *massive* amount of mileage, cause an engine to wear out. Of course, you've totally ignored every other factor that governs engine longevity. Everything you post is based around entirely negligible extra wear caused by a small amount of extra carbon deposits in diesel oil. Of course, bore wear is hardly ever the cause of engine expiration.

Reply to
SteveH

That as it has to do 155 at 4500 rpm it's top gear must be set for 2000 rpm at 70 mph?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And yet is not an advantage over a petrol car, which will run to quite silly mileage without majore expense.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

^^^ drives alfas... Mechanical sympathy isn't an issue, more spiritual gifts.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ok, you've proposed mechanisms for wear to be faster in a diesel engine. Actually, you did that a long time ago, and you've refined them. But you still haven't put up the actual evidence that diesel engines don't last as long. Without that, your mechanisms remain merely theoretical.

Mileage records would do - eg what's the average mileage of various cars when scrapped?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The new C70 (2006) will get the ford/PSA 2.0D engine... If it's anything like my mates flirtation with the Audi Cabrio V6 diesel it'll be a joke - great with the roof up but why buy a cabrio...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which just proves exactly how little you know about engines. Why do you think engine manufacturers insist you change the oil every few thousand miles????

Its the MAIN cause of engine wear... And you have now admited one reason why diesels wear faster.

Reason two...

Petrol at idle and cruise under little stress or cylinder pressure since throttle plate only admitting a little air. It is not having to compress a complete lung ful of air every cycle! So less pressure on bearings, and piston and liner side loading. This means a thicker oil filf by definition, most of the time. Less wear...

Please tell mne you can understand that too????? Hopefully some light is coming on...

Reply to
Burgerman

Probably the nature of those purchasing, we've kind of all resigned ourselves that diesels may be worth having if you can get beyond the breakeven mileage on costs, over 100k miles for many new purchases, so people who buy them are running them longer and maintaining them to schedule.

My Rover 414 sold on with 160k miles and no big problems, my Sierra also

160k miles, Spacewagon 180k miles, the current volvo will be at 180k before I sell. Last one was crashed with 90k after three years, the Rover 75 had 80k in 18 mths. All petrol.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's one of a multitude of reasons why an engine may expire.

Please note, we are talking about the over powerplant under the bonnet, which is not limited to pistons and blocks.

As I've said, in the grand scheme of things, it's so negligible that it has no bearing on the life of the engine, in most cases.

However, you've totally ignored the issue with petrol washing oil off the bores when the car is parked up. This is also a known reason for bore / piston ring wear, and one a diesel doesn't suffer from.

Shame all this 'increased wear' doesn't seem to add up to diesel cars regularly being scrapped due to it, really..... which disproves the theory, or at least relegates everything you've posted to 'one of a multitude of reasons why an engine might die'...... obviously other causes of failure are *far* more significant, especially considering the fact that other reasons are often the reason why an engine is scrapped.

Reply to
SteveH

Ford. Vauxhall. Saab. Volvo. VolkSkodAudiSeat. Mercedes (supercharged and turbocharged). MG Rover (used to, maybe will again). Citroen did - don't think they do petrol turbo now. Plenty more I could google for..

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Indeed it would be harder to talk the diesel one to work as it's in a soundproof box...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp