Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

Bet it never did 65mpg like Montego TD estate did though. :-P

And yes, I will concede this was at the expense of noise, and the odd smokescreen behind.

Reply to
JackH

You can't prove comparable petrols do though, can you... :-)

Reply to
JackH

Just using simple logic (you do know what that is dont you?) if I can show a big bunch of reasons why they will wear out faster then I dont have to.

Its like me trying to prove there isnt a god. I dont need to, sinse lack of any evidence and logic do it for me.

Reply to
Burgerman

But...but...but the guy in The Fast Show says "me coat", doesn't he? ;-)

Reply to
Douglas Hall

Ah, but you see... there is enough *evidence* already out there, that goes against your 'logic', and this is the big stumbling block you need to (and can't) get over, in order to be 'right'.

Yes, and there's plenty of evidence out there, of very high mileage diesels, still running fine, and on the original engine.

Reply to
JackH

Hmm. Strange that, given that the first concrete boat was about 1850 or so, and about 9 million tons of them were built in the UK from sept 1943 to May

1944.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Bollocks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If you feel the need to, but it will still be anecdotal evidence. Minicabs get re-engined over and over again, and the odometer does not measure engine hours.

If you're into anecdotes, all the petrol engined vehicles I have owned have exceeded 300,000 miles without needing anything other than a regular service.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Same to you, prime example of all to do with big cars being bought to make up for inadequacies in the trouser department.

Reply to
JackH

So what? Some die at 200 miles... You need some proper scientific analysis and a large sample size to prove anything!!!

There are and you have no idea from this whether diesels wear faster or not, again you show no grasp of how scientific evaluation or in fact anything works...

Reply to
Burgerman
[...]

Ummmm... No.

You've not been following "The fish (darwin?) symbol..." on ukrd have you? :)

Alistair J Murray

As with other types of car.

I am not privy to any stats VOSA may or may not have collated from the info they get by way of MOT'ing stuff in terms of mileages covered by each category, and nor do I have access to any manufacturers warranty claim databases or main dealer servicing records.

And nor... do you.

*You're* the one who made the initial claim that overall, are less reliable or resilient than the equivalent petrol, *YOU* back that claim up with hard real world evidence, because whether you can bear to admit it or not, there are an awful lot of leggy diesels out there, still running quite nicely.
Reply to
JackH

I already have but you were not bright enough to understand it.

Reply to
Burgerman

No, you've posted a possible theory as to why a diesel *may possibly* not last as long as a petrol engined car, but not actually posted evidence of vehicle longevity that backs up this theory.

Reply to
SteveH

So the weight of evidence is vastly in my favour, now you use your in depth technical knowlege (!) and explain in the same terms why I am not correct? Cant? I thought so, so you drag someones old taxi into it!

Please give me a break...

Reply to
Burgerman

Heh, I can just get 120mph out of my Ford Exploder (V6) on the autobahn. Although the ride is smooth, the engine sounds like it's working hard. It'll have to be something with a 5.7 hemi next.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Errm well lorries actually use diesel because at one time it was about a third of the price of petrol.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You've posted a *theory* not *evidence*.

If you can post some real *evidence* then maybe I could be arsed to do the same.

If you can't, then STFU with your *theories*.

Reply to
SteveH

There is none. The occurrence of autism is identical in inoculated and un-inoculated cohorts.

Theory: a model of reality consistent with evidence.

No it didn't. People have been building concrete boats since at least

1920, *because* the science said it would work. A
Reply to
Alistair J Murray

Exactly and rear drive with leather interior power everything cruise and air con, and CHEAP! etc... I am ordering the biggest baddest one of these soon.

click on "full size"

Reply to
Burgerman