Anti-social vehicle - test case

Actually the most consistent source of pretence that cycling is dangerous is an organisation called BHIT.

Natch. Because they have been so successful for so long (starting with the segregationist agenda in the 1920s and 1930s) that all they have to do now is maintain low-level fear-mongering.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Some do, many don't

Reply to
Brimstone

(quoted in "cycling: the way ahead for towns and cities" by the European Commision)

all concentrations in micrograms per cubic metre air breathed Cyclists Motorists CO: 2670 6730 NO2: 156 277 Benzene: 23 138 Toluene: 72 373 Xylene: 46 193

Cyclists breath two to three times as much are as motorists, though, so some exposures may actually be higher, but not those aromatic hydrocarbon ones.

The exposure of cyclists, car drivers and pedestrians to traffic-related air pollutants. Van Wijnen, Verhoeff, Henk & Van Bruggen, 1995 Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health 67 187-193

HTH

Ambrose

Reply to
Ambrose Nankivell

To short-distance travel? No.

Enlighten me.

Reply to
Simonb

Reply to
Nathaniel Porter

Well, I could provide a long list, but for starters, how about: "it's hard work going up steep hills"?

--

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (WilliamPitt, 1783)

Reply to
PeterE

But it's possible to cut the grass with very quiet, man powered shears. Why use a noisy machine just to do it?

I'm an insomniac, and suffer hayfever. I've far rather they did it at 1am when it's not likely to disturb me, and the dew keeps the pollen and dust down, than first thing in the morning, or on any hot day.

If it was left to me, all lawns would be paved over, after all, it is not a necessity to have a patch of grass outside your house, unless you live on a football pitch.

Or you could stop being extremist, and just figure you like a lawn, someone else likes a car, and get on with life.

Reply to
Stuffed

Hard work? I hadn't noticed. Must be that I've become used to going up steep hills.

Reply to
Simonb

But lots of fun at the same time. Hill-climbing is one of the best bits.

The only real drawback that ensues from it is sweat, I normally take it easy on the way /to/ work because I don't want to sit there stinking for the rest of the day :/

Reply to
Lordy

LOL !

Reply to
Nom

Rubbish !

I live in the middle of the countryside, and I encouter on the roads on a regular basis. Honking the horn almost always works !

Reply to
Nom

Er, they wouldn't ?

I said a "single loud car", not "the single passing of a loud car" !

Reply to
Nom

Since fatalities are among car drivers, motorcyclists, pedestrians and cyclists in descending order of magnitude, I think that might be a red herring.

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

These days bicycles come with gears.

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Just out of interest, when did you last ride a bike?

Reply to
Simonb

Not really, given that the amount of people in each segment is quite possibly also in 'descending order of magnitude'.

Reply to
Lordy

If you want to include exposure to risk, motorcycling is far and away the most dangerous way to travel.

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Your use of the word "almost" means that "many don't".

Reply to
Brimstone

i reckon the guy who started this thread has had enough attention now. leave him to go and play with the traffic, OH WATCH OUT FOR THEM LOUD CARS THEY MAY KILL YOU??

Reply to
stevy666

More pedestrians killed each year than motorcyclists, in the UK, if that is what you are meaning. Car passengers between the two.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan