Anti-social vehicle - test case

[snip]

It can, and does, hurt both. Lack of sleep has physical manifestations and can lead to poor health and difficulty learing.

Reply to
Simon Proven

[..]

I'd be interested.

I'd be especially interested if you can point me to (just) figures

*here* for average hours per week spent driving and average distance travelled.

The other figures you mention would be a bonus.

Reply to
Dave J

Ah.

Thanks.

Reply to
JNugent

How about this for an idea...

I drive because I enjoy driving. Life is too short to worry about money and silly statistics.

:-)

Reply to
Nathaniel Porter

On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:42:59 +0100, Simon Proven wrote (more or less):

And spelling? ;-)

Reply to
Gawnsoft

On that basis I spend a fortune cycling each week just on the time element alone.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Raven

I'd prefer to hear the result if the same approach were taken to railway travel in the UK (using the full economic costs of course, including the hours worked by those who are forced to pay substantial parts of the fares of the rail-traveller, even though they may themselves rarely or never travel by that C19 mode).

Reply to
JNugent

But surely this is an argument against travel per se, rather than cars.

And much the same could be said of all other human activities. Ultimately life is pointless, a time spent running furiously just to stand still. Maybe we should all top ourselves.

--

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William Pitt,1783)

Reply to
PeterE

The National Travel Survey claims 149 hours a year driving, covering 3,411 miles so 23mph on average

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

So they treat their cars as a hobby. I can pretty much guarantee you'll find something worthwhile that I'd think was incredibly pointless.

Reply to
Conor

WEll we thought it was to oust Saddam but when they shouted STOP!!! after we'd just started to make good headway we sort of figured out the rest.

Reply to
Conor

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:50:01 +0100, "PeterE" wrote (more or less):

Only if the results are the same across transport modes.

Unless you find travelling from A to B an end in itself, I'm not sure this is true.

Normally I go from A to B so that I can then carry out my human activity there.

Driving nose to tail along the M4 isn't my idea of the purpose of life. :-)

Reply to
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:35:45 +0100, "Tony Raven" wrote (more or less):

Then again, maybe your 'all up' m.p.h. is higher than a cars each week?

Unless of course, your bike was made out of unobtanium, in which case all bets are off! :-)

Reply to
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:49:54 +0100, "JNugent" wrote (more or less):

I'm happy to hear that result too.

Mind you, the above approach didn't use the full economic costs for cars.

So I'd also want to hear the result for cars if the full economic cost borne by non-travellers was factored in.

Reply to
Gawnsoft

Ah, the guilt complex of the motorist.

John B

Reply to
JohnB

Nah.

John B

Reply to
JohnB

Surely the primary purpose of all life on this planet is to reproduce? Isn't there something in current business doctrine about concentrating on core activities?

Reply to
Brimstone

Any form aof travel which soaks upa n appreciable proportion of your income, anyway. The annual depreciation on our caris roughly the cost of my touring bike which I bought 20 years ago and still works just fine. All my bikes cost less than a quarter of what my one car costs to insure, there is no VED or fuel duty, and the time I spend travelling keeps me fit s is not truly "lost" time.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Why worry about 2 abstracts? ;)

Reply to
Depresion

I can't understand how this could be so. If you haven't got time to stop how do you have time to use the horn?

Quite. There are lots of obstacles in the road that drivers have to find a way round. Parked cars for one. Drivers don't hoot at parked cars. I don't view a person in the road as any greater obstacle.

Reply to
DavidR