Anti-social vehicle - test case

What's the other way?

Reply to
Brimstone

I saw a car that had hit a cow at about forty. Both in the car had died instantly, cow had taken out the windscreen and folded the roof right down.

By the fact that there were no skidmarks on the road, they reckoned the driver had either not noticed or hadn't cared. Thing is, a cow stays put for an instant even when you kick its legs out from under it, then falls sideways onto your nicely smooth bonnet to come through the windscreen backbone first.

Almost no chance, much worse than going head on into a stone wall.

I heard that the cow was unharmed, but it seemed unlikely that it didn't take

*some* damage. Car was really stuffed.

As for things smaller, well I'd not want to hit anything at 80. A small pebble might just glance off the windscreen but something bigger will be like smacking the front with a baseball bat. Luckily, I try not to hit things already so it hasn't been much of an issue as yet. ;)

I did hit a blackbird a couple of years back at speed, made a dreadful mess but no damage I could find. I dunno why, I'd have thought a bird would be lifted with the air it's flying in and slide over the roof without hitting the car. Maybe inertia plays a part there.

Reply to
Questions

"Age / Sex / Location"

Probably not in this context, though. ;)

Reply to
Questions

I hit a pigeon at 70mph in an LDV Convoy and it left no damage at all. Except for completely ruining my mood. And its life.

Ambrose Nankivell

The other people are allowed to demand you do the same.

Reply to
Questions

Saab specifically claims that their larger cars 9000 and then 9-5 were designed for the occupants to survive hitting a 2000lb moose like this.

Or had no time to do anything.

No. At the speed at which they kill you like this, the cow doesn't move at all, the legs are ripped off annd the car encounters the cow's torso unmoved.

At forty, pretty much the same.

That part sounds like an urban legend. Moose don't survive these encounters in Sweden, and cows are far more fragile.

I've heard of people being killed by a rock falling off a truck in front of them and bouncing to windscreen height. One story involved a small boulder going through the passenger side of the windscreen at about 70mph. Driver turns to his wife but she's no longer there.

Your car is designed to flow the air over its surface at the front, since pushing it out of the way uses much more energy.

A lot of physics does.

Reply to
Mark South

OK, the only reason I asked is that I took that as being included in, "if everyone considered other people instead of just themselves"

Reply to
Brimstone

So you must be one of the many in this country to day who does not give a damn about how much inconvenience he causes to other people. in fact my next door neighbor is another at this moment in time 21.43 she has a sander going on her walls and the noise from it is deafening . If it is still going at 11pm I shall be calling the local plod . Grant .

Reply to
Grant

Is everyone who does not obey you a "brainless selfish bastard" then?

And on the same sort of subject, is she a "brainless selfish bastard" then?

I have a fancy they will all be "brainless selfish bastard" s.

But I expect you'll be back on usenet complaining, after all, we usenet users are sensible, receptive listeners rather than the "brainless selfish bastards" you encounter in real life... Except for the "brainless selfish bastards" like me, who you feel you can quote without adding the *subtle* detail that I was quoting you on that particular piece of swearing, you little bastard... FOAD as I think you told someone else... For those as don't know Grant was asking someone to Fuck Off And Die. Be aware of this before engaging in any sort of debate.

To Grant the loser, - I would quote you:

Do you *want* some noise, grant? I'm tempted to flame you, and I know how.

You don't even understand the game. "FOAD" indeed.

Reply to
Questions

Rather than just popping round and asking her nicely to stop?

No, I suppose it is easier to run off to the big boys than take responsibility yourself. She might not know she's disturbing you, but of course, it's bothering you, so she must. She's out to get you. She's not really trying to make her home more pleasant, she's just trying to drive you slowly insane, like in a Victorian play.

Beware.

Reply to
Stuffed

And if you don't demonstrate any regard for the rules of the road w.r.t. red lights, why should you expect cars to demo any regard for the rules of the road w.r.t. cycle facilities at red lights?

Reply to
Gawnsoft

marko snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk opined the following...

I'm English doncha know!

Round these parts they seem to be getting better. Although, the last time I remarked on this, it was followed by 4 attempts on my life the following day!

I can kind of see the point, but I'd still stop for the red, if only because it is even more patronising towards the drivers who are stationary. "Look... I can obey the traffic signals because I'm actually moving!"

My experience of the "filter on red" system in Italy was not so good. I like to be able to look at the lights and predict car movements. If red doesn't mean stop, then the green man becomes somewhat meaningless.

Fair enough. Your life. I'd still prefer it if people didn't as (as previously mentioned) it makes it far easier to take the moral high ground with drivers.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Senior

Just how many times do you think I should pop round and ask her to stop !!!!!!. I popped round last Friday night,Saturday night,Sunday night and on Monday night any person with any sense would have got the message by now but she is a dumb blond so I suppose excuses have to be made for her behavior .

I had over looked that point yes she must be trying to make her home more pleasant for her "clients" that come hammering on her front door at all hours of the night having all the dogs in the neighborhood barking honest I did forget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Grant .

Reply to
Grant

Kemi Olusanya, part of a Jungle Dj team Kemistry & Storm, died when a cats eys got thrown up by a lorry in front of her on the motorway.

-- Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

AndyMorris

Ah, nice to see bigotry shining through. Maybe she thinks your a sad fat geekboy.

No Grant, thats called "having friends". As you've plainly got non you wouldn't understand that sometimes they go and visit other people.

Reply to
Conor

That was last weekend. I agree that in this case she might be taking the piss a bit, but then, half nine isn't that late for some (most?) people, and she might be trying to get the job done, and forgotten it might disturb you. Or she could be like me, and started a "ten minute job" umpteen hours ago, and lost track of the time. I did a bit of work on the car the other day. Started at 5, next thing I knew it was 9!

Hmm, interesting you blame people visiting her for the dogs barking, and not the dogs themselves or their owners.

Also interesting innuendo there. Let me guess, she's female, and has male friends, who turn up at odd hours. Obviously a sinner then, couldn't be that people want to go round for innocent reasons for a chat or a cuppa, could it?

Reply to
Stuffed

ROFL

Reply to
Nom

Nope, honk, and let Darwinism take over.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Err, I don't. I fully expect things with more than 2 wheels to do exactly as they please.

Reply to
marko

Pah, life would be boring without...

I'll spend 3 mintues longer in bed. :)

"Right of way" and "Not right of way" - not meaningless. Does mean you have to stop and look and think and decide, rather than blindly obey the signal. You'd get used to it I think, it is at first alien.

See where you're comnig from, but personally think its down to size as to who gets the respect rather than moral high-grounds.

Reply to
marko