Anti-social vehicle - test case

And they're doing a very good job of it.

The other day I told my wife of my intention to start commuting by bike and she reacted as if I'd told her I was going to play Russian roulette. I was able to make her see sense in the end though.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Higgons

It's not astonishing at all.

Compare our transport policies over the past thirty years with those in countries like Holland and Denmark where the take-up has grown massively. The answers are not hard to find.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Higgons

How massively has the take-up grown?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Surely that depends on what one is doing at the time? In any event why should one individual impose his presence (however fleeting) on others without good reason?

Reply to
Brimstone

"Nom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Well, thats one persons 10 seconds of noise polution. Add that to all the other prats who make their cars louder. Also, those individuals do not limit their drives to daylight hours either!

MrBitsy.

Reply to
MrBitsy

yeh ok, I meant the shopping trip overall not the bit behind the wheel.

I rent a place thats 1 minute walk from the town centre and 7 minutes walk from a lovely sandy beach. I have 2 part time jobs, one 6 minutes walk from home (its on the way to the beach) and the other 25 minutes by train on one of the UKs most scenic train routes and less than 20 mins walking time.

My motives for learning to drive are

  1. greater access to the countryside whenever I want and to make carrying tent and baggage easier when camping with family.
  2. it's a new challenge.
  3. it could possibly extend my employment options.
  4. I grit my teeth when I say this but also for supermarket shopping.

yeh yeh ok ok. All your arguments seem reasonably foolproof. But I don't understand why you have chosen to take part in this newsgroup. Anyway live and let live.

all the best, Rachel

Reply to
Rachel Schaufeld

Which newsgroup? The thread is crossposted to four different groups.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Check where you're posting : it's on uk.transport which seems relevant to a discussion on transport choice.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Better stop driving down roads with people who want to go faster or slower than you then or want to pull out of sideroads onto the one you're on etc etc.

Reply to
Conor

Cornwall ?

St Ives or Looe?

Reply to
Martin

See, figures like these piss me off. It can be done a lot cheaper, if you're willing to put in a bit of effort, or forego buying fashionably new.

£110 for one of my cars, zero for the other.

Fully comp, with Euro cover, 80 quid for one, 70 for the other, at last renewal

Probably half that, for both in total.

-£50 or so, depending on the latest Practical Classics fad.

Maybe a tad higher for me, £520 if I'm doing a lot of rush hour driving. And I don't go great distances, so maybe even £700 if I travelled cross country often.

I don't pay for a bike in any way when I'm soley using a car, so that hardly counts as a motoring cost, ffs!

As above.

Nice to see spurious figures thrown about in an attempt to make a point.

To run 2 cars I estimate £980 at most for my year's motoring, add a couple of hundred to that if I took it into my head to drive to Scotland or something every other weekend. Personally, I'd be amazed if I'm spending any more than 600 a year to run 2 cars, but to be safe went for the higher figures.

So my driving costs approx 2/3 to a half of your mix and match of cycling walking and public transport, yet your option is cheaper?

Reply to
Stuffed

I'd love to have a bike. I worked out that sometimes, when I drive to uni, my average speed can be less than 10mph!

Reply to
Peter

So are you going to tell us what they are then?

Reply to
Johnny

Which part of "without good reason" did you miss?

Reply to
Brimstone

I am on UK rec driving and I find crossposting confusing. Because it is! If I have an opinion on a specific topic I would select the one group where my opinion appears to have the closest relevance.

Rachel

Reply to
Rachel Schaufeld

Devon

Train journey from Exmouth to Exeter, the Tarka Line.

Reply to
Rachel Schaufeld

At one stage in my life I commuted 5 miles into Cambridge. I could do it in 12 minutes by car without breaking any road rules. After 9pm and before 6am that is. During morning or evening travel times it took about 40 minutes, or an hour if there was bad traffic (rain etc). By bicycle I could do it in 20 minutes every time without breaking into a sweat.

In answer to your wish, Peter, bikes are easy to locate and cheap to buy.

Reply to
Mark South

Does that include being killed on the road by a car?

Reply to
Tumbleweed

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:54:05 +0100, "Stuffed" wrote (more or less):

Just as well I was tallying transport costs, for with or without a car then.

Well, the motoring magazines don't seem to consider it spurious.

Feel free to calculate on the basis of borrowing money to buy the cars, rather than using savings. But that puts the number higher.

Although this would be zero if you got the cars given to you free of charge.

The travelling I do, and the cars I use are differnt from yours.

Classics tend to be less reliable, or take up more maintenance time and effort.

Pricing your own time fiddling with oiling suspension grease nipples at zero is fair enough, if that's the thing that floats your boat and that you'd do as a hobby anyway.

(I've run things like classic Minis, and Clan Crusaders (whose hardtop doesn't even reach the top of a Golf GTI's steering wheel! They're fun, but modern cars tend to 'just work'.)

Reply to
Gawnsoft

On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:10:50 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote (more or less):

And I do. As I said. Which is why I'm not sure why Rachel is trying to evangelise me towards driving.

I guess she's got the zealotry of a recent convert, seeing as she's just getting her licence now. :-)

Reply to
Gawnsoft