Brake comparison.

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pffft.

They're positively steamrollers. I s'pose they're probably thick-coat-of- black-paint ultra low profiles? Something ridiculously rubber-band, maybe even as low as 70s?

Reply to
Adrian

It's the only size tin of paint I seem to be able to buy for it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sometimes they let me be outside them while they tootle about on the ground.

I love my job.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Us s**te-old-base-spec Peugeot owners have to stick together, mate.

I seem to have bought a G-reg 3-dr 205, 50 throbbing bhp of 136,000 mile

1.1 4spd "Style".
Reply to
Adrian

Of course it will. Just perhaps not with its own brakes.

For what it's worth, the 9-3 1.8t has (according to my reference)

283mm vented discs up front and 276mm solids at the back. The 2.0t models wore 300 / 290 and the 2.0T models had 312 / 290. I have not measured mine...

-- The DervMan

DervMan

LOL, the same size as the Capri. Considering how s**te they are on the

106, just think how s**te they are on a capper. Even the 2.8i V6 brakes are the same size, although vented.

Indeed. On the Capri, I've lowered the front anti-roll bar which stops the front end diving under braking and reduces the distance.

Reply to
Conor

I love the 205. I'd have a GTI in a heartbeat and wouldn't give a shit if it was the 1.6 flavour. The diesel 205's seemed to be reasonably rapid for an oil burner. Saying that, they weigh nowt.

Reply to
Conor

K-reg 205 GRDT as daily driver - 78 (!) throbbing horses with somewhere around 130,000 miles under their belts. Not sure it falls under the base-spec criterion though - it's got 'leccy windows in the front. Spangly!

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Albert T Cone gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

G'd be a 5-dr, right?

Reply to
Adrian

I test drove a near mint 1.7D 205 a while back. It was s**te, and appeared to be made out the same foil they use for chinese takeaway boxes.

Reply to
Doki

Bah. Heathen.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It is, although I didn't know that that was what it meant.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yebbut it was. It was outclassed by the Citroen ZX we're scrapping - the ZX is faster, quieter, comfier and handles better. I can only assume the GTI is majorly different.

I have also driven 106s, and found them s**te to drive too.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Kerb weight of a low-spec Peugeot 205 3dr? 790kg Kerb weight of a low-spec Peugeot 207 3dr? 1220kg

That's half a ton of extra _stuff_ that's got to be dragged about, everywhere that 207 goes. 55% extra weight.

I weigh about 15.5st. An equivalent %age weight gain for me would take me to 24st.

Don't think I'd feel too lively if I was 24st, d'you?

Reply to
Adrian

Albert T Cone gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

IIRC, G was 5 & X was 3 on the old Peugeot badging.

Reply to
Adrian

I've only driven my own 205, which does have the GTi suspension, so I can't compare, but I know that it feels somewhat more nimble [1] and is quicker than my gf's 306 TurboD (which I assume is pretty similar to the ZX).

Comfort-wise, the 306 is definitely better, but then the 306 feels more comfy than most things of vaguely similar size. The 205 still isn't bad, especially for it's age; it makes good use of the anti-roll bar to give you a pretty compliant ride, without much in the way of body roll.

All that said, when one of the drop-links periodically dies, it doesn't half make the whole car feel baggy and coarse. Still £15 every 18 months isn't too bad, as running costs go.

Never tried one - closest I've had was my old diesel AX. If you think the 205 feels like tinfoil, don't go near one of them. Handling of that was ok, in that you could make it play about, but it got unsettled on cresting corners and discouraged you from having too much fun, whereas the 205 constantly screams 'Try harder you wimp!!' and makes me grin like a maniac on almost any road.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yup, makes sense. Well, no, it doesn't, but it at least fits the data.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Doh. Footnote: [1] but less forgiving on the limit - the 306 gives you plenty of warning that you're being a knob, whereas you have to have your wits about you in the 205.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Albert T Cone gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The 306 is a bit "tighter" than the ZX.

A set of decent tyres going on at the weekend... I'm looking forward to it.

Reply to
Adrian

To me, the ZX bears a striking similarity to the MK3 Ashtray and is as equally bland and unappealing. As a daily hack about, they get the job done very well.

Reply to
Conor