cheap fuels

Hehe. You are mental :) You can just buy your propane in the big (19 or 24(?)kg) bottles, and it still works out cheaper than LPG. You can pump it across, or if you aren't in a hurry, turn the bottle upside down and gravity feed it into the tank. Plus, no-one cares about what you are doing with the stuff...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

It's not "entirely legal" to not pay the duty on it - it's not legal at all. The trick, as you know (kerosene...), is to do it in a manner which doesn't arouse suspicion. And putting a bloody great white tank outside your house which is supplied by mains gas is definitely suspicious.

That's about as reliable as saying your mate down the pub encourages it. (is it in fact exactly the same as that?)

If they want to nick you, they will - they'll get the records from all the suppliers, they'll compare the "before" and "after" volumes, and say "Why did you switch to a more expensive supplier at the same time as choosing to heat your house to tropical values?". Nobody will believe it's just because you're pissed off with call centres, especially when you've got an LPG powered car sitting on the drive.

(I'm not sure you can easily switch suppliers with the big tanks - the deal is they provide them, and you pay the cost off by sticking with them. There was an OFT investigation into this, which probably made switching provider easier, but I think you've still got to stop with one and start with the other. It's not the same as oil...)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Run it /exclusively/ on BP ultimate unleaded?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No proof. Anyway nobody will ever notice or care!

Reply to
Burgerman

Do you want cheaper diesel? if the answer is yes please check this website

Henry Smith

No it wont work well in a PETROL engine. And your spam sorry "link" is dead anyway.

Reply to
Burgerman

*junk snipped*

Oh what a load of old rubbish. If you want to tell us you are doing a conversion on a particular car just say so. Running a car on LPG is a false economy if you work it out correctly. You get roughly half the distance for half the cost compared to petrol, so you might as well save the cost of a conversion and extra insurance and just keep using petrol. LPG also decreases performance and it is not as available as petrol. Petrol compared to LPG is like the woman from Fat Fighters (Little Britain) saying - cake, cut it in half, it's half the calories so you can eat twice as much.

Reply to
john

Have you been smoking something?

Reply to
john

There is only a decrease in performance if you build the vehicle to be dual fuel. It is a compromise. If you build and run a dedicated LPG engine, or use an engine management system that can control the ignition advance via knock detection, you can get addition performance from LPG just like you can with any fuel with a higher octane rating than pump petrol. It only causes a decrease the engine is badly tuned, and tuned to run on petrol primarily, not LPG.

Reply to
Elder

I think you seriously under-estimate HM C&E.

They're *way* more powerful than the plod.

Reply to
SteveH

i think he has a gas leak in his house and it's affected him in strange cheap skate ways. well even if he hasn't got a gas leak he might have soon and a well good excuse for his madness :)

Reply to
Vamp

also the extra weight of fuel. i was tempted to LPG the BM but put off cos it's only cheap cos they don't put such a harsh tax on the stuff, bet that don't last long!

Reply to
Vamp

There IS a decrease in performance due to there being a lower calorific value for the given amount of fuel being burned when the mixture is correct. This CAN be compensated for by building the motor with greater compression. The greater compression gives more efficient airflow/pumping and the higher octane rating prevents detonation due to preignition.

Not true. Quite! If the compression is too low for a given fuel you can sometimes get a "little" extra power without detonation at the expense of high peak cylinder pressures, high peak main and big end loadings, ring wear etc. In an extreme case to try and imagine why this is the case, imagine a REALLY low compression motor. The timing could be advanced to a point where it seriously hurts the power and peak pressure occurs halfway up the compression stroke. It still does not knock so the timing gets advanced further still!

Good combustion and best power and efficiency occurs when the compression ratio is ALMOST enough to ignite the fuel without a spark. That way it you can ignite the mixture later. And because of the compression it burns fast and peak cylinder pressure happens AFTER top dead preferably when the crank is in a good position to convert pressure into torque rather than busting head gaskets and big ends/rings... This is why a good engine has late timing say 26 degrees btdc max advance at 10,000 tpm on a good bike head. Thats because it has a central plug, hemispherical combustion chamber, good accurate squish clearance, and as much compression as the fuel will sensibly stand.

Plus almost all cars and bikes have a FIXED map at wide open throttle. All closed loop systems like free oxygen exhaust sensors and knock sensors are ignored at full power anyway. Its slightly rich and safe timing map.

Reply to
Burgerman

you know way to much about engines. your on a par with trekkies on the nerdy scale mate!

Reply to
Vamp

I know the blaggers guide version of the theory. He has done it, for fun and profit.

Reply to
Elder

Did they teach you that bollocks at school or did you just make it up yourself?

I get about 33mpg on LPG vs 36 on petrol. LPG is 42.9p/litre and petrol is 87.9 - how does that work out at half the distance for half the cost?

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Especially now they have merged with the IR to become HMRC. Two huge tax grabbing monsters combined.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

You don't actually have to be on the Powershift list to get a 100% discount on the Congestion Charge. Send in a registration form with a copy of the installation certificate, they will check the garage that wrote the certificate is on their list (most of them are), then add the discount registration for your VRM.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

In news:45c0f599$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, john wittered on forthwith;

That's a spectacular load of bollocks even for Usenet.

I've had 2 LPG Range Rovers. I drove one to Devon and back in convoy with a

1.2 Corsa driven by my ex-g/f's mother. The Range Rover cost *LESS* to fuel (using LPG) than the Corsa did on petrol.

my average cost, of fuelling a Range Rover V8 EFi Auto running on LPG was £25 per week.

my average cost of fuelling a Range Rover V8 EFi Auto running on petrol was £70 per week.

When I sold my last Range Rover I bought a Xantia TD as a cheap runabout. I saved about £3 a week driving a rattly diesel instead of a smooth V8.

LPG *does* have a lower calorific value than petrol, but the difference when driving a properly set up LPG powered vehicle is very slight indeed. Slightly more bottom end torque using petrol, slightly more top end "oompf" using LPG.

At the moment I'm driving an immaculate Mk2 Golf GTi which is averaging between 32-37 mpg (petrol), costs very slightly more to run than my 3.5 Range Rover did on LPG.

LPG rocketh mightily.

Reply to
Pete M

Err yep... I suppose.