Cheap Snorkel

Can I make a cheap snorkel out of plastic drian-pipe fittings or am I nuts?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes you can and yes you are nuts.

Reply to
Exit

Yes you can, but when you've finished you'll probably look at it and wish you'd bought one :)

Reply to
David French

Can't see why - half of the commercial ones look like they are made from drain pipe :)

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

definitely do it yourself - unless you can afford one of them nice mantec jobbies with body moulded countors etc. If you can`t, then why pay £90 for a snorkel that looks exactly like the one i just built from drain pipe! Only cost me about £10 for the bits and £20 for the snorkel cyclone top. Just make sure you seal it with decent sealant and also screw the thing together. Don`t trust these push-fit drain pipes to stay together when push comes to shove. Just waiting for the sealant to fully cure then it`s getting a spray of hammerite smooth to make it look pretty.

Nick C D90 300tdi csw

Reply to
Nick C

My Series III petrol had a home made snorkel on it when I bought it. You can see a pic here :

here
was made out of plastic pipe, although it seemed a bit sturdierthan your average drain pipe. There was a flexible section going fromthe carb intake to a 90 degree elbow inside the wing, which was connectedto another 90 degree elbow above the wing.It looks like the top section had an air filter, with several layers offine wire mesh over it (didn't dismantle it, so I'm not 100% sure therewas a filter in there). The whole thing was painted matt black, andI think it looked ok from more than a foot or two away. Definitely lookeda bit home-made, but seemed to suit the vehicle reasonably well. I won't be putting it back on when I get the V8 in though. I'll make 2 of my own - one up each side of the windscreen :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Twas 28 Jan 2004 01:53:15 -0800 when snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) put finger to keyboard producing:

Got any photos?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mr.Nice. posted ...

Yes ...

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I bought this one with a snorkel, all it is, is a exhaust flexi pipe, clamps direct to the flexi hose on the carb & at the moment on the to this is a piece of right angle drainpipe, siliconed in place, with some mesh in the end to keep the big bits out

Works for me, see other pics.

Kev

Reply to
Kev

What no air filter? Only asking cos was thinking of making own snorkel and I was wondering what to do with the large oil air filter.

If an air filter is still a good idea what makes a good replacement to the oil one?

Reply to
Nigel

You could do something like this :

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

On or around 28 Jan 2004 01:53:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nick C) enlightened us thusly:

one of our chaps in the local bunch of nutters has just invented one out of guttering and the like, and a standard LR rubber intake hose.

Reply to
Austin Shackles