Councils - don't ya just love em !

=20

Yeah, but since when has councils ever had foresight to think about=20 backlash.

There was a council on the radio recently that slammed motorists=20 claiming for damage to cars due to the state of the roads in their area.

They complained that if people stopped claiming they would have enough=20 money to pay for the repairs. Maybe if they had sorted the repairs when=20 they were needed, then people wouldn't have to claim. And I thought they=20 were supposed to have insurance for that sort of thing.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

It has quite a lot to do with whether or not I can keep my car legally parked on the road.

No. I'm advertising my car for sale. Trading involves an exchange of some sort - usually money for goods or services. I will, of course, do my trading on my own private land. I'm not going to sell the car in the street. It's the same as if someone were to be walking around with a board advertising a shop of some sort. Now, I'm struggling to find the appropriate law which might cover this, but I'm fairly certain that you don't require a license to advertise something.

As I'm just advertising, I don't think this is of any relevance.

Do you work for local government? I'm beginning to think so... ;)

Yeah, it seems perfectly straightforward to me as well. Councils are run by muppets who consistently do as they damn well please - often to the detriment of local, law-abiding people.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

The same could be said for any vans with company logos and contact details on, or even if the council have let the side of the bin wagons as advertising bill boards (even if it is corporate sponsorship to reduce local council tax bills).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

advertising a

Indeed. I'm getting more convinced that a council would have no legal right to remove a car purely on the basis of an advertisement in the window. The problem with policies such as this is not so much the inconvenience to people who may well be trading, it's the fact that it affects so many innocent individuals who inadvertently get caught up in the council's scheming - which gets turned into statistics provided by local governments to prove that they're doing something worthwhile when in fact, they're just making an even bigger mess of things.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hehe :)

Reply to
Lordy

Well, there you go. That's different from advertising something as being for sale, isn't it? As another poster pointed out, it's the same as a company van having advertising on the side of it. Do they need street trader licenses? I sincerely hope not! As your definition puts it, 'Trade' is to be engaged in a purchase or sale of goods. An advertisement is simply an indication that one has goods to sell. Of course, this does rather depend on your interpretation of the word 'trade' and, I imagine, the legal definition would be somewhat longer and more complicated than any dictionary definition.

The problem isn't what it's designed to combat, the problem is what it ends up doing. To be honest, I'm not particularly fussed about traders selling cars by the roadside although I can see how it could be a problem. However, I don't see that they are doing anything illegal unless they actually set up a little desk on the pavement, put the bunting out and stood around all day on public property trying to get buyers. Then you could probably get them for trading without a license, causing a public nuisance and creating an obstruction on the Queen's highway.

So - a council decides it wants to do something about traders leaving cars for sale at the roadside. Fair enough. So they put this stupid rule in - maybe it clears off one or two traders in the area for a while, but it causes endless amounts of grief for innocent locals who are trying to sell their cars only to find some stupid jobsworth getting in the way. Is it really worth it for the sake of moving a few cars? Then, of course, when the complaints come flooding in and the council realises they're in a legal quagmire disputing over a legal black hole regarding whether an advert in a car window actually consitutes trading, they'll stop their silliness and the traders will come back. Complete waste of time, money and resources.

There is a road like this near to where I live. I believe there may be a legal case against that particular trader, because he parks his cars on the pavement. However, the pavement is very wide and pretty much every single homeowner along that road parks his or her car on the pavement as well. All that would end up happening is everyone loses out because of some guy who only has about for cars four sale at any one time. If the cars were causing a nuisance (ie, they were blocking somebody's access or parking was limited), I imagine a homeowner in the area might be somewhat miffed about these cars for sale taking up all the space. If I were in that situation, I would find the dealer and in the first instance, ask him kindly to move his cars elsewhere. If that failed, I suppose I would be left with calling the police in to help resolve the dispute. Still, I dunno about where you live, but I'm sure the kids around here would be more than happy to wreck a few cars. They do it often enough without being asked ;)

I don't believe that there is any legislation which covers the advertising of goods or services on a car window. I suppose there might be some old law or something - I seem to remember at one point it was illegal to have rally-style numbers on the side of a car, or something stupid like that.

Yeah it was the 'infringing legislation' that gave it away ;)

Glad to hear it.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Being legally parked is a completely different subject from selling your wares by the roadside.

It may well do, but if that's your sole definition of what it means then it's exactly that - *your* definition, and not the actual one.

"trading Trade \Trade\, v. i

To be engaged in the exchange, purchase, or sale of goods, wares, merchandise, or anything else"

Note that I am not condoning the actions of a council in enforcing something like this, I am merely acknowledging the fact that back street traders can be a nuisance in certain areas. Of course your average Joe selling his private car is not really what this is designed to combat, it's for the people who blatantly deal in cars from their own home.

There's a stretch of road near where I live where there are regularly three or four cars parked all day and night on a grass verge in front of people's houses. Granted on a scale of one to ten it's not the biggest inconvenience in the world, but that's not really the point.

True, but that doesn't mean you aren't infringing legislation.

Not any more, I used to work for my local council tho :)

And on that, we both agree.

Reply to
Lordy

And who actually wants to park there ;) ?

Reply to
Dan405

I've been to Salford. Who'd pay for the hundreds of security guards ;)?

Reply to
Doki

In a roundabout way, that's exactly what they do :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nope. Not if it's your own car and it's a private sale.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

there were lots of cars for sale, but because it was such a prominent place, they all ended up in the free parking bays for days on end eventually they made them pay and display, but that just made people put money in the meter

Reply to
dojj

In article , snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

A trader is a trader.

Reply to
Lordy

In article , lord snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You really must have been living in a cave on the edge of the fans then.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Since when as your house EVER been on council land. Its YOUR land, dim whit.

Your house and everything below it, and above it, is legally yours.

Anyways..............

im sure the council in question are trying to stop dealers posing as private individuals while selling cars. Maybe this is an easier and more cost effective way of doing it. We all have them in our towns dont we......... people that buy a old car, tart it up a little, new trims, bit of spray and t-cut and then sell it next day for a few quid profit. Suppose there are some of these that do it for a hobby but there are those that make a good profit by it, maybe having 2 or 3 cars dotted about on bits of (council owned) waste ground at the roadside. There is every chance that these people are not paying tax on there income from this. Any buyer going back for them with a problem will be told to get lost as its a private sale.

So maybe the council are doing us a favour here by attempting to stop those flouting the laws where the Revenue and Sale of Goods is concerned.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@Way.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You don't understand the concept of "freehold" and "leasehold", do you?

Reply to
Adrian

You mean everyone already knows this? Why didn't anyone tell me? I don't recall there being a referendum on it ;)

Reply to
Chris B

It was postal, but all the voting papers went missing, so it was giving to Tony as a gift from the people.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

So, if i have 2 cars, and i put signs in one, pointing to the one for sale, which is parked on my drive, that would be ok?

Reply to
Dan405