dodgy drivers...

Erm, one of the reasons to use the whole of the road is that it improves your visibility. That's the best argument I can think of for using all of the available tarmac.

Reply to
SteveH

And Japan.

Reply to
Iridium

Except where it puts you in more danger by crossing into the oncoming lane.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I dragged the slider bar across to get the gist of it.

Reply to
Conor

No. I do and sometimes some of the other side as well as all of my own.

Reply to
Conor

Not that there's any Trafpol to see it...

-- Conor

The surprise isn't how often we make bad choices; the surprise is how seldom they defeat us.

Reply to
Conor

Exactly. You can go significantly quicker if you use all of the available tarmac - partly for the better lines, but mainly for the improved visibility it gives you.

Reply to
SteveH

And not relevant because here we can't see the speedometer.

Reply to
DervMan

It's the "apparently" bit, though, isn't it?

But the difference is that posting a video of some driving isn't the same as people witnessing a given car using both lanes.

Adopting what the driver believes to be the racing line (for most idiots on the road that means cutting the corner and running wide under power on the exit no matter the road or conditions) is best left for Gran Turismo / Forza...

Yes and it'll still happen.

Reply to
DervMan

Unfortunately in the last ten years the safety nannies, or road planners, have put solid white lines to prevent people from using both lanes, planted hedges and trees, or in the example of many A1 roundabouts, put up great big fences to block visibility and make people slow down.

There are occasions where using both lanes helps visibility, but it's not so simple. If you're using the opposite lane to improve visbility, your speed is governed by not just your own car's ability to stop, but the potential HGV just outside of your vision, too. In most cases this slows you down.

Being able to use the full road to enhance progress is a dying art these days.

Reply to
DervMan

' As we know, the correct racing line is not always out-in-out, and the correct way on a public road is out-in-in for lefts and out-out-out for rights, within the confines of your side of the road.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In many cases you can't.

If you need to use the other side of the road to hoon around a corner at higher speed, you must make an allowance for another vehicle coming the opposite way just outside of your field of vision.

Reply to
DervMan

A-Class CDi at 28,000rpm...!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Passing the mondeo (c. 2:00) is comedy

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

D'ya reckon you'll be able to use it from the middle of next week onwards?

Maybe at weekends?

I want to see how sooty the Saab is... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Got a hectic week next week, will try and catch up with you though

Reply to
Tim S Kemp