Dodgy Indicators

Any suggestions with this one ( keep them clean ... )

2002 Avensis 1.8 vvti estate When the indicator stork is moved to the left ( nearside ) I hear an intermittent bleeping sound which varies in pitch & volume. I've checked outside the car to see what's happening and the nearside indictor lights flash along with both break lights + the rear window stop light - just like when the hazard warning switch is engaged. Yesterday the hazard warning switch didn't work but it seems OK today. On investigating further this bleeping sound seems to be coming from the rear light cluster in the boot ( nearside ) I guess its not a blown fuse as all lights work etc. All is OK with the offside. No towbar is or apppears never to have been fitted.

Any help most appreciated

Reply to
Will

most important: the brake lights should not operate with the hazards or indicators (fix this first)

sounds: possibly you have a reversing bleeper or sensors which are being operated by a bad earth or incorrectly fitted bulb or connector.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Check the earth path for the left hand cluster. If there is a bad earth then the current from your indicator will find another path, often through the other lights, causing them to light also.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

Almost certainly a dodgy earth. Look at the taillights and see where the earth wire is. They're often just under one of the taillight fitting securing screws. Cleaning the connection to the bodywork should help.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Will contains these words:

That's the "impending baby" alarm.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks for your replies ... seems most probably to be the earth then Will check as soon as I can & let you know

Cheers to all

Reply to
Will

Earthing or bad connections in the light units

Reply to
R. Murphy

Well guys on investigating further guess what .... found that a tow bar must have been fitted previously as there is a warning bleeper + main cable leading down thro spare wheel well . This had just been snipped & not taped up etc. so over time with water infiltration must have caused the short . It was an ex fleet car so my guess is that the garage who I bought it from had it away. Funny thing is it passed its MOT last week with this bleeper sounding which must have indicated a fault .......... just goes to show :-)

Thanks for all your help

Reply to
Will