Doh stupid idea #564

I have an overwhelming urge to mod the midi van :)

i feel the poor 2.4 isuzu tdi needs some loving :) :)

anyone care to suggest what kind of effect a substantial Front mount intercooler would have on performance :) or dare i say it a more sprightly ihi turbo ?????

Reply to
Rob

Not much.

Fill it with deep cycle batteries, replace engine with a fork lift truch motor on an adapter plate. Use a modern controller. Charge it with a windmill or solar cells etc and you have free transport!

Reply to
Burgerman

What kind of donk is this, does it use mechanical fuel injection or electronic control? Either way it's possible to tweak the set up, it's more a case of how. I've had decent results with one of these funky tuning boxes with the 9-3 TiD *but* the disadvantage is lots of turbocharger lag. *Huge* lag.

What's the current intercooler arrangement like? Does the van feel pokier at lower ambient air temperatures compared to higher temperatures? Does it feel better at night, say, compared to the day?

If the answer is that you can tell a meaningful difference then anecdotal evidence suggests that uprating the intercooler may well help matters. If there's jack difference between the two then either the intercooler is inadequate full stop or is adequate.

Going on the feel of my 9-3 in high ambient air temperatures and the behaviour of the intake temperature, it needs a more efficient intercooler...

Reply to
DervMan

when i had my MR2 turbo i wanted to change the small intercooler for a charge cooler from a celica GT4 as it was meant to make a pretty big difference. but i didn't get that far plus i went fast enough with the stock setup :)

Reply to
Vamp

Water charge coolers are not always much of an improvement, since once they warm up, they have the efficiency of an air to air intercooler. If you have decent airflow through the intercooler and it doesn't suffer from heat sink, you'll do well.

Chargecoolers work well on the 'strip but don't get used so much on the road. Water misting is a useful idea though...

Reply to
DervMan

A larger intercooler will make no noticable difference to performance - unless you watch Tokyo Drift or similar. It will make the engine feel smoother and that's about it. I have seen many people change them on a variety of cars in the hope they will become racing cars! The latest was a Rover 25TDi. Performance before intercooler change was

0-60mph in 10s. After the intercooler change it was exactly the same. The only thing that made a difference was a tuning box. That reduced the time taken to reach 60mph by 2 seconds and on a rolling road give an increase of 30BHP and a lot more torque although I can't remember the figure. It now uses far more diesel and blows black smoke out of the back! The tuning box also caused an oil leak and a hose to be blown off, probably because of the way the car was being driven. For the hundreds of pounds the tuning box costs I would say 2seconds is not worth it, neither was changing the intercooler. The customer is always right, and the company laughs all the way to the bank! Boy racers are great!
Reply to
Pete

It will if the existing unit is being stretched to capacity.

Whereas a lot of people would say that a performance change of that magnitude that was obtained with an outlay of only hundreds (as opposed to thousands) is pretty good value for money.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

If a larger intercooler has either the same efficiency, or greater efficiency, then your statement is incorrect. It may not make much difference most of the time, depending on the efficiencies concerned, but under some circumstances (high temperature, high altitudes, say).

How exactly with improving the intercooling make an engine smoother?

You're explained this before. We laughed at you.

Heh.

And will be going quicker for it.

Something isn't right with your claims. Lopping two seconds in the standing start time to 60 or 62 is a significant and material improvement. The Rover

200 needs to be producing around 145 bhp to be able to squirt up to 62 mph in 8 seconds. So 45 bhp more (give or take) over standard and not 30 bhp.

Not to mention that there is a very large number of cars that hit 62 in a time over 8 seconds and under 10.

Reply to
DervMan

A big intercooler lets you run more boost with less chance of detonation. That is it's main function.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston