Even more Charger news.

Heathen.

No, I mean, really, why in God's name do you want to take an Australian classic musclecar and butcher it with a bloody Toyota engine? At least give the thing the dignity of a GM V8.

This is akin to buying an Opel Commodore GSE Coupe and transplanting a BMW engine, or something.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Hemi is just a design of cylinder head/combustion chamber. You can have a single cylinder Hemi.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Conor, do you realise what you are saying? *5th gear* starting at 30 mph, if they were both in 2nd or 3rd @ 30mph the turbo'ed car would annihilate the friggin Espace!

You *cannot* measure turbo lag in such unrealistic circumstances.

The Supra in this given situation would perform better due to the extra engine capacity and smaller & larger turbo configuration.

Reply to
Remus

You haven't encountered enough Yank-derived metal, Steve ;)

The original Corvette, as well as having a pathetic six, had a TWO speed gearbox.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Heh. This I know, but powerbands even on big V8s have been getting narrower over the years.

Said 2-speed box didn't have a f*ck-off great torque converter, did it?

Still, that's not the point..... an Espace is geared for, what, 120mph at the most in 5th, but a Supra is geared for well over 160mph in 5th. Doesn't matter what extra power the Supra had, 40mph extra in 5th is going to be pretty hard to overcome.

Reply to
SteveH

Thats not Turbo lag. Thats been off boost. Which is different :) And it was a Multipla.

Reply to
DanTXD

I thought they were the same thing, when the force exerted by the exhaust gases were not sufficient to drive the turbo compressor properly/at all. Well you learn a new thing every day!

Yeah I remember the episode, they put the FQ round the track on the same episode didn't they?

I didn't want to say in-case I was wrong :)

Reply to
Remus

Yea and it raced, and was better than, a Mercuilago (?sp?).

But they concurred, that for every day use, it was just too 'tuned' with its ultra heavy clutch, and huge turbo etc.

Reply to
DanTXD

More to the point made in Conor's original post, what do you think it would do to a milk float?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Why did you snip my explanation of why I thought your illustration was utter, utter bullshit?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yep. In fact the 265 Hemi six was the fastest accelerating production car in Aus for a long time. It had triple carbs and some other trickery. It was even quicker than the V8 version of the same car.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

That's the plan.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The three litre twin turbo from the Supra puts out more torque just about everywhere in the rev range over the old dinosaur V8. Other option will be the 4.0 litre V8 from the Soarer with a couple of GT28 turbos on it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Actually they are twin ceramic turbos that run in parallel on the Supra. So they spin up pretty fast anyway. A Charger is actually lighter than a gen IV Supra as well. So it will be quicker off the mark.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

That's why you have a thing called a gearbox.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The funny thing is the straight 6 in the Charger has MORE power than the V8. The 265 Hemi was the pick of the bunch in the Aussie Charger. Google for E38 Valiant Charger.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

A 450hp Supra motor in a Charger will be a 12 second car. With less fuel consumption and more reliable than a V8 and shitloads more power. I'll trade off V8 roar for twin turbos any day.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

A GM V8 would be more of a crime. If you are going a V8 in a Chrysler you go the Hemi. But I just want a fast reliable muscle car. And the Toyota motor fits the bill perfectly.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yep. If it was a Dodge I wouldn't f*ck with it. A '69 Dodge Charger sold here last week for Aus$52,000 at auction.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It isn't a dodge.