Fecking Halfords

Been down to Halfords today. They offer a trade card to anyone who buys a fair few car parts or works in the trade, according to their website. So I went down there today with an invoice book to prove that we're VAT registered and a stack of invoices. Can I have one? Can I f*ck, because "You're not a garage".

Has to be one of the most bizarre marketing schemes ever. Nobody who actually works full time in the trade is going to bother with it, barring for the occasional set of tools to be broken and returned for perpetuity, because they'll be able to get bits delivered at the right price because they're in the trade. Hell, the only reason I want one is for odd tools, bulbs and for the occasions when I don't want to wait for ECP to deliver something (or more usually, 8 out of the 10 items I asked them for).

Maybe I should wear a baseball cap or something. I wanted to hear a subwoofer a few weeks ago, and was told it was impossible.

Reply to
Doki

My mate has one cos he's doing Mech Eng. at Uni heh. Granted he's at PHD...

Reply to
Iridium

I've got one :)

no hassle at all to get it either, just went in explained the nature of my buisiness(taxi's) didnt even have to show anything

Reply to
Rob Finlayson

It seems to be a bit like that. Either they give you one if you look vaguely like you might have once been under a car by accident, or they want a note signed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, The Queen and your mum to prove that you are in the trade.

Reply to
Doki

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Doki, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Do you want me to have a word with Izzy? He'll be round later....

Reply to
Pete M

See if you can get Fred Dibnah to put his name to it too.

Reply to
Doki

Same here. And I no longer have a business. Got two big leasure batteries at half price same day.

Reply to
Burgerman

Must produce true 'sub bass' then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh I remember you were asking about small subs -

I have one of those. It's very, very good - especially considering it fits under the passenger seat. Comes with all you need to wire it in as well.

Reply to
Iridium

Doesn't that half your luggage capacity?

Reply to
Clive George

Hehe :-) The shelf behind the rear seats is actually bigger than it looks! And there is the tray under the bonnet - but that gets wet :)

Reply to
Iridium

Not... the *brown* note?

Reply to
PCPaul

It's probably more than the head unit, speakers and 75 are worth.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I can't remember the last time I went to Hellfrauds, but I know I regretted it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I got =A315 worth of vouchers from my brother for chrimbo. I guess I'm=20 going to need a lot of screenwash.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

And about three to four times less than I normally pay for a head unit alone. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't be perfectly happy with a cheap one, but people pay what they are happy to pay - just as they do with the actual cars themselves.

All the more important to have good kit then :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

So what basically you're saying is that you're actually so pikey that even Halfords rejected you?

I didn't even know they had standards :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

My headunit was an import bargain heh. Pioneer 6950ib - has loads of cool features that I'm never gonna use but it's nice to have heh - the sound quality is great as well. Shame my Q-be MP3 player is a bit toss really, I need a better MP3 player to use with it - one that's not an iPod preferably - although I see Winamp now supports them so I can use that instead of iToss.

Reply to
Iridium

Screenwash? Nah, it's almost impossible to find concerntrated screen wash in Halfords now, it's all ready mixed with water. How about a few cans of WD-40? 5l of Oil for your next oil change? Some of their tools are OK.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I've actually been considering moving over to the dark side and getting an iPod recently, as I wanted something with a bit more capacity.

The phase has gone now, but I still feel so ashamed :(

Reply to
Lordy.UK