I think I may have found the ultimate cross country weapon

That car, in that colour, could be the least attractive motor I have ever seen. I'm including Fiat Multiplas.

Reply to
Iridium

With upholstery, with that cassette player, thank god it is an SE spec, at least the steering wheel is standard at that level.

Reply to
Elder

i think Caterham (and others) may wish to argue the point :-)

james

Reply to
john doe

But they would be wrong. SteveH says so.

Reply to
Elder

They'd lose. Everyone knows the Passat is capable of sprinkling Napalm on Caterham's factory from 31,500 feet.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Beg to differ: that colour is why it's so cheap. It seems the VW- strategie to plummet resale-values. IRL you get used to it.

My advice to Carl: haggle over the price, point straightly at the colour, say that he will never get rid of it but that for a lesser price you could take away his burden. However: the seller has -like the other add you posted - an obvious dislike to specify mileage.

If you buy it, get a decent pair of sunglases (20-30 UKP) to wear at all time. It'll make you look sophisticated and after a week you won't notice the colour anymore.

When you sell the car later on, put in the advert "special colour ex factory".

Rest assured: there has been an idiot paying good money (around 1000 Pounds) to get that colour from new, another will turn up to buy it from you.

Worse than a Multipla (first generation)? You must be kidding. Pete's whale Scorpio is art against one of those. And Carl will drive the pot of Mustard only at night: buggers up one's colourperception. :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Other than the colour, that would appear to be really good value.

But don't expect to save a lot of money on fuel.

Reply to
SteveH

Driving like a Dervy on dope, that'll probably do high 30s won't it?

Reply to
Iridium

the colour reminds me of one that jaguar used to do (may still do?) that was referred to by the dealers as Jewish Racing Gold.

james

Reply to
john doe

Aye, but normal driving sees 32-ish, hammering it everywhere will see low 20s.

A TDI-110 or 130 would be a better buy - the same money would get a car a couple of years older, but something that will do 50mpg.

Reply to
SteveH

One of my neighbours bought an X reg at auction a bit over a year ago for 2 grand. Same engine, same spec. His is in a light blue metallic, not the fable inky blue........

If I may feign sobriety for a moment, I know of not one person who actually regretted buying a Passat. They're handy bits of kit. It was just the income tax that made me give mine up.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Colour match looks off on the doors in the first pic. I reckon it's had a prang.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The same can be said of the vast majority of people, though. I don't think there are many* people in this newsgroup who have regretted their current machine.

For what it's worth, our two TDIs on the fleet had indifference from their drivers apart from the whining that other drivers had better equipment in their Laguna / 406 / C5 / Mondeos.

*there are exceptions to this of course. :)
Reply to
DervMan

It makes sense as only a Passat could, but I didn't think you were prepared to accept the terminal decline into sensible just yet? :p

And for such an exotic-sounding donk (five valves per cylinder, turbocharged) it is such a boring engine, both to listen to and to drive. Since Dan wants to know, over my usual commute, I'd expect to return 37 to the gallon from a manual.

Reply to
DervMan

The engine is in the wrong way round in that, buggers up most of the big turbo kits.

Reply to
Depresion

As others have said, get a diesel.

Reply to
Geoff

It's niceish and all that, but the more I read your posts, the more I think you are like me. You try and convince yourself that you need a modern, economical car when in fact, I reckon you'd be bored shitless with that Passat before you got it home :-) Stop trying to justify your purchases to yourself and others, and go and buy some weird, wonderful vehicle that you will actually enjoy, and bollocks to the expense. You only live once. Do you want to spend some of it in a Passat?? ;-)

take it easy!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It'd be a lot better in something 500 kilos lighter...

Reply to
Doki

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Elder, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Talking of cross country weapons, I've just done 350 miles in an 06 plate Mk5 Golf GT TDi 140 and I wouldn't wish to repeat the experience any time soon.

Other than having quite comfy leather seats and going tolerably well I was utterly, utterly underwhelmed with pretty much everything about it. VW have truly, truly lost the plot. The 6 disc cd changer in the centre armrest was a nice idea, but the armrest itself is useless for actually resting arms on.

Oh, and the dash plastics would be shameful in a 1982 Datsun Stanza.

Reply to
Pete M