Ford Puma

Until recently ford never made a decent engine. Then they bought Volvo and Jaguar, which redressed the situation...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And yes, I'm including the 1.7 and 1.25, and the 4.4, as they were bought in from Yamaha. They are cracking engines though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I wouldn't go that far. The Zetecs are pretty good (apart from the sticky valve issues caused by the wrong oil) - but they were designed by Yamaha.

Reply to
SteveH

See later post...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Shocking when you have to import engines from the French to put in a Jag ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Except they don't. The X type has the old mondeo diseasel motor in it, the S type motor is built in Dagenham, that's London, not Gay Paris.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The 2.7 twin turbo diesel, PSA designed, and going in the 407 soon :)

Reply to
DanTXD

My Ford CD says 100k or 8 years whichever comes first, I'm not saying it's a good idea, my Mondeo needed a new water pump, pulley and new bolts due to everything being seized due to not being touched since the assembly line ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Hmmm, wonder why Lotus and Cosworth were so interested in the venerable crossflow then....

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

ISTR they both only used the block, as that was the only bit worth using. Everything else was bespoke.

Reply to
SteveH

At the time the crossflow was an excellent engine, not just decent :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Shame that time was the late 50s......

Reply to
SteveH

To fully understand this it is worth bearing in mind that it is a compromise between replacing a part that has been tested and may not be particularly worn, with a part that may be faulty either immediately or quite quickly, or leaving in place a part that will either last longer or is liable to snap.

There is some element of a gamble there. To exaggerate, if you replace the cam belt weekly, if won't be very long before a duff one wipes your engine.

The interval recommended will depend on field experience, if the belts usually last the recommended life, and therefore the period is extended, this may be a test. Similar, if the period is shortened, this may be because the expected longer life doesn't seem to be happening in practice.

Quite why there is a variation is open to research and stuff. Be cynical, and bear in mind that new part quality varies.

Reply to
Questions

Its a Fester underneath- so be looking for:

1) warped and warn brake discs- around 30k is the norm for discs. 2) wobbly, rattley and bent front suspension arms / bushes / joints. - on a
Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

in news:1106041308.c2a55d14ea09c1d2570153ebf44d4521@teranews, "fishman" slurred :

That maybe, but outlook express really sucks ;-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

The sticky valve issues *caused by the wrong oil*, and probably owners not really sticking to the service schedule - i.e. every 15k or so, even when the service schedule says every 10k, (or more often if it's used for lots of short journeys, which a *lot* of cars are), are really an issue that's partly due to owner neglect, and partly due to Ford dealers just chucking 10W40 in anything that comes in for a service.

I think any relatively high performance engine wouldn't take too kindly to the wrong grade of oil being chucked in there - certainly not in the long term anyway.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

How old is it, and how many miles has it done?

And how many times has the coolant been changed in it?

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

*cough* Ecotec.

All very true, but at least a new cambelt, fitted as per the correct procedure as specified by the manfacturer (i.e. tensioner replaced if knackered, things done up to the correct torque, tensioned properly using appropriate tools etc.) will be covered by a parts warranty so if it does snap due to a manufacturing defect, you'll be covered.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

£30 part? That all it was. Mine did that from the day I got it - I just used to get by by opening the window if it got hot.

Funnily enough, the bloke I bought it off said (when I phoned him up about it) that the hot air is hot, but not as hot as it should be, but he'll try and get it looked at before I come to pick it up. When I arrived to pick it up he said "I've had the heater fixed, and it's nice and hot now". I'd gone to Glasgow (cheap flight) to pick up the van, and about 5-10 miles along the M74 I realised that it didn't go to cold. D'oh!

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pardon? I didn't hear that the first seven times, please send it again :)

Reply to
DanTXD