Ford Puma

I know. I personally wouldn't risk it past 60-70k, maybe 80k at a push. Nothing's infallable.

I know they're not as bad as Ecotec engines by a long way, but from the stories I've heard about them, I don't think there's a single engine of any make that I'd not change the belt early on.

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You are Vamp AICMFF blue neons.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nothing's infallable.

stories I've heard about them, I don't think

Good call Petey McPete, I think you should change the belt on the BX then. It'd make it much more attractive to a potential buyer (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nothing's infallable.

stories I've heard about them, I don't think

Heh - it was changed 4 years ago, and not too many miles, so it ain't like no sod knows when it was last done! And any car with a cambelt changed by me would *not* be an attractive proposition at all

- the timing would probably be half out and the belt probably slack. Trust me, it's best I just stick to oil changes :-)

-- Peter

Get Circumcised to e-mail me

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Wow hi praise indeed. Guess we made a good choice :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Brilliant thread :o)

Reply to
Mason

It aint helping me though. Bloody thread hijackers! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Sorry, to be honest i'd forgotten what the question was :o)

i think pumery thoughs for a few minutes and get back to you ;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Carl Gibbs ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wrote: : After an afternoon of looking at cars and finance my girlfriend has decided : to buy a Puma in a few months time. Hopefully we can pick up a 1.7 with :

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

Do you what sort of mileage the cambelt should be replaced at?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) wrote: : Do you what sort of mileage the cambelt should be replaced at?

The handbook for my '97 says 100k but a colleague owns an '02 and his handbook says 80k. I also phoned two local Ford dealers, one said 100k and the other 80k. My Puma has done 77k so I'll play it safe and get the belt done at the 80k service. Cheers, Blair.

ps. This is for the 1.7 ... not sure about the 1.4 and 1.6.

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

No they are not.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Problem with Ecotec engines seems to be the tensioner or water pump failing, not the belt itself

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Peugeot's what is better than Alfa or Ford's what?

Warrenty?

Reply to
SteveH

Of course, the only real solution is gear driven cams. Or, at a push, camchains. Only Ford even managed to f*ck that one up, too ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

That's spelt 'warranty' apparantly :) And probly yes, we all know how famous Alfa and Ford dealers are for customer service. Rust warranty on a Ka anyone?

Reply to
DanTXD

Cam chains seem to be ok on the V6 mondeo. I dont have any experience of the others I dont like fords as a rule so avoid them

Mason

Reply to
Mason

After sails service?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think they cocked up gear driven cams as well, didn't some of the V6s have nylon cam gears?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

ISTR the Essex V6 did.

And yes, they cocked that up, too.