How Much?

Charlie persuaded me to drive a BMW MINI One diesel today. 1.4 blah blah six speed blah blah sixty mpg blah blah YOU WANT TWELVE GRAND FOR IT?!

Now don't get me wrong, it handles reasonably well and it's very direct, but it's not all that quick (barely quicker than Kermy on the motorway, inferior power delivery and with more body roll in twisty stuff) but that's with no options. Boot is half the size of the Ka.

Okay so I knew the above but didn't want to be reminded of it.

Option list resulted in much coughing. I mean, £680 for air conditioning?

Bugger that. I can get a two year old S60 D5 auto for well under fourteen. Hell I can get a pre-registered Bora 130 TDI Highline for just over thirteen (down from nearly eighteen).

Reply to
DervMan

But Boras are cramped small noisy slow impractical Golfs... oh, sorry.. just realised you had a Ka.

You could get a 4 yr old S60D5 for well under 8 grand.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And cheap. Cheap is good.

I think I'm just going to accept that whatever we replace the Ka with, somebody will find offensive, so I'll buy a Saxo or Neon that _everybody_ will find offensive.

Yup. Correct.

Reply to
DervMan

Go on, buy a Neon - even you'll get sick of it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or get yourself a shedload of credit, and an Alpina D3. Feel smug about owning an Alpina, happy when you visit the fuel station and laugh your ass off every time you park it next to a standard 320d.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or a Saxo *with* neons... :P

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

LOL!

Reply to
DervMan

But the Mini holds its value real well...

How about a nice 1.8T A3? plenty of modding opportunities, and it's a nice drive.

Reply to
Ronny

Costs more than a Mk4 GTI 1.8T, but does nothing better.

Reply to
SteveH

The halo has slipped in the last few months - another year and there'll be so many used ones they'll make astras look like an investment.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Sharper steering, harsher ride - "feels" sportier, but isn't.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It makes a better job of shaking your fillings out and permanently damaging your spine. Also, makes a better job of costing you money...

Reply to
DanTXD

It's Jap - Soul is deliberately engineered out.

Reply to
DanTXD

Correct. Technically bordering on the stunning when launched, now merely "clever," but lacking in character.

Reply to
DervMan

but the S version is rather good :)

Reply to
Theo

try a Jazz as you aint affraid to look a h*mo, love my mums one. i aint allowed to touch it though :( my sisters skoda fabia is ok, lots of toys for sweet FA cash! got a 1.4 16v ones with all the toys for only £3k and only 40k on the clock too! they understeer a bit to easy for me but then almost every FWD car i drive does. nothing scares me more than coming onto the power and seeing the front end heading straight ahead where a big kerb sits :-S

Reply to
Vamp

...yes, they're expensive, but resale's great. sister in law just chopped her 3 year old cooper in for another one and it was very cheap to change over...

Reply to
Ric

Out of interest, how much did it cost to change, how much was the old one new, and what was the new one priced at?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Depends where you are, my sister lives in Dubai and she still has her 2 old cars[1] 'cos "it's not worth it" to sell 'em, no-one buys 2nd-hand over there...

[1] She now has a Boxster (I know), but in the underground garage where she lives she has a Mini cooper and a Beetle (both convertibles) just sat doing nowt, but at least I have a car to borrow when I visit ;)
Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)