I bet he won't do that again...

Fraser Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@jcis.com.au) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

First, start with a Jag.

Reply to
Adrian

Vauxhall/Opel LOVED the Scorpio

Rough Sales Figures of the two companies executives

Carlton & Senator 50% Granada 50%

Early Omega 75% Scorpio 25%

Bit later Ford pulled out. However I see about 10x as many early Omegas as Scorpios, you cannot miss a Scorpio it is SO UGLY

Reply to
Martin

'Is not drive away'...

Coupe convertable with really long doors, anyone?

Reply to
Abo

I was thinking of the real S type with the XK lump which was later used in the 70's and beyond XJ.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Why would you want to start with an unreliable money pit?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You're showing your age mate. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Not even related to the XK series engine I was thinking of. Neither uses the right configuration, only one has the right number of cylinders.

See below for the S-type jag and the XK engine.

NeedforSwede2

NeedforSwede2 ( snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, you mean the Mk2 with middle-aged spread?

The XK goes back before that - first appeared in the XK120

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed it does.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

'Fraid so mate, closer to 40 than 30. My mother used to have an S-Type that she hired out for weddings. White with the plate REG911E. We used to joke that it belonged to Reg Kray a long time ago. Fantastic condition that car, and really smooth on the motorway.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

It must have been one of the longest production runs of any big car engine. Something like 40 years. Beats the Rover V-8.

Of course the A Series - as fitted to the original Mini - beats both by quite a margin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not even close to Citroen's three-bearing 1911cc engine (OK, it's a bit smaller).

Started off in the Traction in 1934, then the DS until 1966, before finally dying with the H-van in 1982.

Reply to
Adrian

They were comfortable, but didn't handle nearly as well as the MkII or go as well due to the extra weight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The last application being the most suitable. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The last application to receive it was the DS...

I like H-vans...

Reply to
Adrian

FWIW, a V6/ leather/ manual 6/FWD/ Honour Green Mondy Wagon suits me! Not pretentious, comfy, useful, easy to live with, quite nippy & chuckable. I can live with the Ford Badge, & the depreciation, 'cos it will be around for a while & I bought it at 10 months old at app. 55% of the list price. Difficult decision, 'cos I can get a 30% discount for a new one, but the right car / colour combination came along whilst I was deliberating. (I don't consider that a car has any particular value once it's bought, like any other item of domestic equipment, so I don't buy cars for their resale value, but to do a particular job. If it's fit for purpose, affordable & I like it, I'll buy it. Come replacement time. if it's tradeable, weel & good, but if not, so be it.)

TTFN, David C.

Reply to
David C.

The A series engine is a few years older than the Mini though. First fitted in the 1951 Austin A30 in 803cc form. Then fitted to Morris Minors in 1952, which, along with few mainly cosmetic changes, made it the MM series II The Mini didn't arrive until 1959 with the A series uprated to 848cc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Wikipedia needs updating ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Where was the weight? We're talking Mk II with IRS, aren't we, not Mark X!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

The other A-Series beats the A30 one as well, doesn't it?

(Speaking from a position of total ignorance, BTW, didn't the XK start off in the SS100?)

Reply to
Ian Dalziel