I guess this was an almost typical ebay response...

I'm looking at a few cars at the moment to fill the blanks in my sig, one of them being an E36 coupe. Spotted one in Sarf Lunnon with quite low mileage, and it even looked decent on the pics. Mind you, the description could've fitted on the back of a postage stamp, specifically one that already had War & Peace written on it.

So I emailed the seller if there was any service history and got the response "no service history but plenty of MOTs to prove the mileage". Yeah right, that's not what I asked and a lot more than I wanted to know.

I guess I'll find out this weekend if I can overcome my dislike of wrong wheel drive, as I'm planning to have a look at what is commonly labelled as one of the best-handling FWD cars. And no, it's not an Alfa.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

That'll be an Integra or a Primula, then.....

Reply to
SteveH

Focus? Mondeo? MG ZT? MINI?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which part of 'best handing' didn't you understand?

Reply to
SteveH

Ewww. I've driven a tuned one, and I'll pass.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Define handling - most of it is about steering feel and predictability, in which case all the above (including the Integra and Prim) match that nicely. I'm guessing you've never spent time behind the wheel of them or you'd agree.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Focus / Mondeo - rubbery s**te. New ones even worse with the totally dead feeling leccy PAS. Nowhere near as nice as the 156 to punt down a twisty road - that's a car with proper feedback and decent steering.

Reply to
SteveH

1990s Lotus Elan.
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Good call.

It can only end in tears....

Reply to
SteveH

Ooh look, one of those cars you've actually owned. Another completely objective review. Thanks for that.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well, I have a Focus out there. Hugely disappointing experience given the rave reviews they've had. And I've had a fair number of Mondeos and Focii as hire cars.....

Reply to
SteveH

Just had a thought....

Fiat Coupe 20vT...... huge power, great handling. I can see it being a 'Timo' car.

Reply to
SteveH

... and not very good on the track.

Your first guesses were pretty close.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

And of course once I've decided I might somewhat sensible, I find this:

Aaargh.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

'kinnell.

I remember when they were 500 quid bangers.

The world has gone mad.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmmmm.

Almera / Sunny GTI..... Civic..... CRX?

Reply to
SteveH

Purgeot 106/306 GTi/Rallye?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They haven't been for years. It's actually a pretty decent price if it's not a grotty one...

Newera has a really nice one for sale that's been fitted with an AE111 engine but that's a bit too rich for my liking. I'm still hacked off that I missed another one with an AE111 engine last year because I couldn't get my arse oop Norf quickly enough.

It does that :).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I try to ignore CRXs at the moment as I'd like to have something with four usable seats.

UK model Integra Type R, happens to be local down here. I've seen this car around quite often and it's quite tidy, plus it hasn't been messed with.

If I don't like that then I'll guess I'll give up on FWD for good.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

That's because you've got the one with the wallowy suspension. Anything not badged Zetec or Ghia X is a bit soft in the suspension.

Reply to
Conor