I'll never live this down....

It's not a case of how much, more a case of where the f*ck can I buy it?

There's one supplier in the village - but they're not a petrol station - they sell gas, and only during office hours, which is next to useless to me.

Reply to
SteveH

Get one with it already done, it'll be hugely cheaper. Just make sure it has an LPGA cert. I do about 120 miles a day at the moment and it costs about £7, that's at 40.9p/litre - some places are cheaper some are more expensive. When I was working in Leeds I was getting 32.9p although it went up a bit in the end.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

If it's any consolation I've been driving a turbo-diesel for almost 3 years now...

I haven't spotted any ill-effects thus far... (Apart from the obvious ;-)

Justin.

Reply to
Justin Cole

A4, you know you want too,

Tons on auto trader

1997 AUDI A4 1.9 Tdi, P reg. silver, 1 yrs Mot, 6 months tax, low mileage, new exhaust, new timing belt just fitted, very good condition inside & out. . . . . . (trade) £ 1,495 305miles

Make sure its had a new cam belt and your good to go :)

Reply to
Ronny

Use petrolprices.com, put in postcodes where you live and along your normal route to work...

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Heh, there was a W reg one in a truly hideous yellow "Taxi" colour went through the local auction for £550 a couple of months back. Looked very tidy, but 'orrible. Sounded ok for a diseasel, but more miles than J-L Picards company vehicle.

You could always get something fun with a big engine and LPG?

Reply to
Pete M

You've not been looking hard enough then - quite a few of the late Mk3 TDis had air con.

Some even got leather, but that really is quite rare.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Maybe Sir should just bite the bullet and borrow a couple of grand over two years if he can't scrape a few quid together some other way (Sir could raise a few hundred just by offloading all the cack like old mobiles and MZs he never uses, methinks).

A £2k loan will cost you £100 a month'ish, and for that in addition to the lump you're already looking to spend, you could get a decent Passat, A4 or Mk4 Golf TDI, with the much desired climate.

You'll lose on the interest repaid, but you'll gain in as much as you'll actually have something in decent nick that's worth having and that you'll want to drive, and which won't depreciate over night (especially if you go for a decent spec Mk4 Golf).

I paid £3k for my Passat, and it was nigh on mint, SE spec with decent alloys, and sensible mileage.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Move somewhere less pikey? ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Erm, but then you've just negated any advantage in buying a diesel in the first place.....paying off a car loan more than wipes out any advantage in fuel savings.

Reply to
SteveH

Or that....

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Get a 0% credit card.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Still barely makes sense to borrow a grand, for example, in order to save 20 quid a week on fuel - the break even on that is around 12 months.

It's a different matter if I'm just raiding current account cash reserves, though because they don't really count, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

That, and Jack's "bit nicer" is merely "bit further away from banger status". The only thing worse than having a banger, is having a car which cost $meaningfulcash reach $fuckall in your own, short period of ownership. IMO.

That, and the 4-6 year old 'good' cars are invariably the ones that need every bloody thing doing to them when you have them.

Much better to just buy a £300 Citroen ZX Diesel that's got a few months to a year left in it and forget any sense of pride :)

(Or Contract Hire, my logic for which has frequently been explained, but your £2K will go a good way towards getting an A-class diesel and running it for a few months unless the figures have changed a lot. But if you don't plan on a: writing off your car money, be it £2K in one go or £2K spent over a year on rentals, it's not going to be the best solution).

(Yes, you might be doing a lot of miles; get a 10Kpa contract anyway. If you get a 30K pa contract, you usually pay 2,000 x pence per mile extra per month (roughly, I know there are 12 months in a year) and don't get it back if you don't do the miles, instead of finding you only covered

40,000 miles in your two years and paying for 20,000 x ppm instead of having paid for 20,000 ppm you didn't use).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Fuel economy?

Nah, it won't make any difference.

Unless you can't control yourself. Well, that's just shit then.

Reply to
ts86

->Budget £2k.

->Prefer a saloon rather than hatch, and almost definitely not an estate.

->Over to the jury......

Bora, Golf, Passat, Octavia (can you see a pattern ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

It's not a bad suggestion, IMO. The 405 is pretty lightweight, so the standard 90Hp TD is quicker than the 110BHp 406, for example, and it's actually reasonably tuneable - spend £120 at

or a bit more with
and you'll have an extra 25Hp, or go for an intercooler upgrade to make it 40Hp for something with quite surprising real-world pace. This would come to well under a grand all in, and still give you an easy

45mpg - at least mine did, and I thrashed it everywhere..

The 405 has got about the best compromise of comfort/handling of anything I've driven - way better in both aspects than anything of the VAG stuff I've had. As for reliability, in the 15000 miles I drove it for, I had *nothing* go wrong with it. I recently spoke to the chap who bought it from me back in September, and since then he has put another 10k on, and has had to replace the hand-brake cable and fit new brake pads - not bad for a £350 car.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You really don't get this 'minimal depreciation' thing, do you...

Only if you spend said money buying something like an Alfa.

HTH.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

My brothers old Octy TDi had nearly 200k on the clock, ex 24hour taxi,=20 serviced every other weeknearly. Looked, felt, and drove like new. Got it at auction as a finance snatchback for =A32k. Sold it a yearish=20 later for =A32.5k. He knows motors and is fussy and he loved it.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

can't you pick up an older 80 TDi or even an early A6 for about half=20 your budget?