I want one.

1 mph faster than a Mac.
Fraser

PS I'd still prefer the Mc Laren though.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Nice. I do like Porker 911's, even if the older older short wheel base "Idiot killers" were a far more exciting car.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Read about that in this months Autocar - me want :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Any min now some of the regular induction kit bashers will be on saying it would be faster with a standard air box. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Depresion decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Be faster with a standard air box, that.

Reply to
Pete M

On a car of that size the induction kit is OK as there is a need for it. People only have a go when idiots in 1litre engined cars put them on and think it's turned into a racing car. Or it has an extra 25BHP and will reach 60mph in 10 seconds instead of 16 seconds. On smaller cars they do suck in hot air from around the engine as people put them in the wrong place, they would be better off using covers or the standard box with a panel type filter. Notice when people pointed out the obvious, about sucking hot air in, to the manufacturers and dismissed their claims of "extra power" - they brought out a fully enclosed one with heat shielding. Then they charged far more. Let's face it, anything in a car magazine will be bought by younger people as they know no better. Most have NO knowledge of cars or engines. They think £100 will transform their battered heap into something that will keep up with a Sierra Cosworth. On the Porsche it will be going that fast it will have a sufficient air flow, as in from outside! I am sure Porsche would have thought about that one. So induction kits can have their uses, but do nothing for a standard road car driven by a 17 year old. They just sound louder when the air rushes in, so the plonker in the car thinks it is "faster". I prefer fast quiet cars.

"Depresion" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Mark

In news:P9tLd.419$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Mark decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

So do I, but on my old Sapphire Cosworth I did some tests.

Standard airfilter in standard airbox = 508 bhp K&N panel filter " " " " = 528 bhp K&N cone filter = 491 bhp Pipercross cone filter = 489 bhp

The "shrouded" aftermarket airboxes weren't common at the time, so I couldn't pinch one off a mate to try it.

spent most of a day trying airfilters and other such gubbins, and I was very happy indeed when the standard box with a K&N panel worked out as the best.

wasn't a particularly hot day either, but when the car was working hard it did get bloody hot under the bonnet.

Reply to
Pete M

nice.. it would be slightly knackered anywhere near speed humps though.. unless everywhere is turned into these no kerb/road-markings/traffic light areas they are trying out, which also mean no speed humps.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Pah, as an aftermarket tuned thingy, I hardly think it counts. I bet it needs an engine rebuild every few weeks :)

The McLaren F1 was a genuine production car. IMO, it's record still stands.

Reply to
Nom

probably in the same way as Ruf porsche, AMG Mercedes, Alpina BMW, and Callaway Corvette. Marketted under the tuners name as a limited run production car to exclusive order.

True. It's all true on usenet.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar