If I say got bored with the Saab, which would be the better bangernomics Alfa?

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

i'd rather put up with

Just fancy nerely as much power, without the lag, and that gorgeous Alfa exhaust sound.

I've been a real car nut since I was about 14, never did pass test till I was 30, so, i want to experience as many of the "Great Marques" as I can.

Even if it only means an older Alfa, a Porsche 924, and a non-Torbo Quattro Coupe, I get a feel for greatness, and choose my weapon later based on experience.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

When did the 8v with chain become the 16v with belt, or is it not that simple?

I know there were 8v Twinsparks, but can't seem to find anything that gives a description of which engines went into which cars, and when they changed over.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

That was one of my other choices, but I fancy something a little different.

Yeah, I've heard horrors, and remember my mates old Alfasud that eventually had to go the way of the crusher after the dangerous body work laws came in in the late 80's early 90's. In the end, the MOT guy circled the safe bits, and told him the rest needed plating/welding/replacing.

Shame really, bag of s**te bodily, but that lightened the weight, and it went like a rocket for a 1.3.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

164 TS - cheap to buy, cheap to run. Or a 164V6 which will go like stink when you hammer it but is good on fuel when in cruise. 155 is nice but you'll want to thrash it, 75 needs TLC now.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Cheers Tim.

The 156 and the 147 are just about the only two cars me and the missus agree on liking the looks of. Not sure how she would get on looking at one of the older more angular ones. I've always had a thing about the Alfa shapes as they tend to be pretty distinctive even if not always "Pretty" although previous to being a driver, I always heard the rot, electrical, and service horror stories.

I see that over time, Alfa have done a bit of a Skoda, and improved on their weaknesses under Fiat, as Skoda have done under VW, but still suffer secondhand price wise from the past reps.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Check you out :)

Reply to
Nom

Bloody hell !

My much more modern TI, complete with it's cast-iron engine, only weighs

1300Kg !

Do Alfa make their cars from lead ?

Reply to
Nom

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The gauge didn't work, at all... dodgy sender. But the light worked fine :-)

Reply to
Pete M

They have the same floorpan :-) Though the 164 was the least alike of the type 4's with its pininfirina styled body. Still, wouldn't mind a thema with that Ferrari V8 lump...mad...

hehe, mate was obsessed with those too... Had an olive green sud - more filler than car :-)

Reply to
Chris

Concentrating only on the 4-pot injected engines (Avoid early non-injected, single spark 75s):

75 - 2.0 8v TSpark 155 - (Narrowbody, ie, the shape I have without the blistered arches) - 1.8, 2.0 8v TSpark (as above) 164 - 2.0 8v TSpark (right up until it was discontinued in '98 - it never got a 16v 4-pot) 155 (Widebody) - very early examples have the 8v engine, but it was quickly replaced by the 16v, iron lump, Fiat-based engine.

Pick of the bunch would be a 155 Widebody 8v. But try finding one.

Reply to
SteveH

You do realise just how much bigger a 164 is compared with a 600Ti?

Reply to
SteveH

i'd rather put up with

you didn't pass your test till you were 30! damn. i couldn't of waited that long :)

been behind the wheel since i was 18 and now 22, only had 2 cars of my own so far...

Reply to
Vamp

On the road on motorbike since 16, passed driving test when 17, had pretty much sole use of my mums car (triumph Acclaim), now got me the 405 - the first car that belongs to me :D

I have driven quite a lot of different cars tho...

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

What about say a 145?

What would be your choice of the options there?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

None.

For £1k-ish, you'd be looking at an early Boxer or a mega-high miles TSpark 16v car. Not something I'd do.

The Boxer wasn't up to the job of hauling around the relatively heavy

145 shell, and they also managed to bugger it's reliability compared with the same lump in a 33.
Reply to
SteveH

I can probably get you a 145 Cloverleaf (2.0 16v 150 bhp) on an S plate for less than £1500... New motor in it, not the mintest car in the world, but it's cheap and quick, and should be reliable...

Reply to
Pete M

Scary thought - take an unreliable car, and bugger up the reliability...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, the Alfa 33 was only an Alfa Romeo Arna in an Italian suit...

Reply to
Pete M

Looks just how I imagined!

Reply to
<fishman nineteen at bifgoot dot com>

"Vamp" wrote

Pah! I passed at 19 (almost 20) I'm now almost 23

I'm on my seventh car

Fiesta 0.9 Escort 1.4 Lancia Dedra 2.0T Lancia Dedra 2.0T Rover 825 2.5TD Lancia Dedra 2.0T Golf Driver 1.6