If I say got bored with the Saab, which would be the better bangernomics Alfa?

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tamate.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Oh I didn't plan that this would be my last.

Just while I'm in the banger class cars, I would try a few different ones, maybe a 924, or a 20v quattro coupe (not a UR, the face lift) for some germanic with handling, or maybe a 2.5 litre Merc 190E for a bit of quite quick poise and grace, or maybe an alfa for some nice edgy handling and an exhaust note to love. Failing that, could maybe experiment with either an MX5 or an MR2 T top while we have a little bit of sun to explore.

Then when I have some money, look for a nice tidy mint fully restored/reconned FTP T16S 900 Convertable for all year round.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I'll look into that then, because it would seem the more sensible option, and the shape does appear to be grwoing on me.

Guess I should save some cash, go test drive a couple of each, and see which fits me best, then sell the Saab then.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmmm. Mine's at about 2000rpm in second - and full boost is made from

2100rpm onwards, so there's lots of pull.

The same applies here.

Ah right. Well the difference is that I'm 900rpm above the full boost level :)

Yep - big difference then. Mine starts to spool at 1400rpm-ish, and is making full boost at 2100rpm, then it is absolutley sweet.

:)

Reply to
Nom

Ah yeah, I remember.

There were kids and people everywhere - it wasn't really a suitable period for a hot lap of the carpark :)

Reply to
Nom

Yeah. The older 900 used the big monster Garrett T3 trim 40.

The LPT and later FPT models used a Mitsu TD04, a smaller blower that cam make as much power, but spools up smoother and ealier.

But to fit it I would need a different exhaust manifold or an adaptor.

SO, you get 1000 nothing, 2000 nothing, 3000 boom, wadafug, brown trousers 5.5k shift quick before you hit the 6k hard limiter.

choices are get a manifold/adaptor for the TD04, get a T3 trim 60 from

9000 bolts straight on, even more lag, but even more boom when it goes (and takes the weakpoint gearbox with it), or find another cheap banger with a flatter curve and enjoy it more.

Remember mine is from '84 and only differs from the '70s 99 turbo by having the 16v so it makes the power higher anyway, and has the APC to control boost curve, but is still pretty crude old tech. The days when you made power by wapping a bigger turbo on a turbo car and revved the nads of it to avoid bogging. Unfortunatley cameras and petrol prices don't really allow that anymore.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

if you want a car with great handling and excellent poise then go for the mx5, then buy the turbo kit and proceed to blow damn near anything away.

Reply to
Theo

Including it's great handling and poise...

What makes sense at slow speeds doesn't always work when a car has a lot more power.

Reply to
Lordy

not true, I've read of many conversions including lexus 4.0 twin turbo and 6 litre chevy engines which handle very well indeed, albeit with almost completely new rear suspension geometry

Reply to
Theo

I like the idea of an MX5. And i don't have to worry about stigma. I owned two Skodas (without wearing a balaclava in daylight), and a Saab ("thats an old mans car"), so an MX5 ("where are your scissors?") shouldn't be a problem.

Just about the only car I would have trouble driving because of societies predjudices would be an old 3 series (not an M3, I could force myself), I would likely be driven off the road.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The older 9000's are a good bet, pre-cat 'i' models have around 135bhp and go pretty well. Big roomy cars, all the toys, quieter and smoother, but actually shorter than a 900 and not much heavier. Slightly better on fuel too..Got around 35mpg from mine.

If you're lucky you might find a non-turbo 2.3i with 150bhp

(I'm trying too hard ain't I?? :-) )

Reply to
Chris

Yes.

I've pretty much rulled out the 164 as it is a 9000 that doesn't look as good (unless I could find a Q4 for peanuts in mint condition).

I like the 155 8v, and the 75.

although I'll hate myself, something inside sasy Saphire 4x4 or Scorpio

2.9 (a little more expensive I know).

A 9000 would be nice, but I know I would just end up with a Carlsson or aero dispite my better judgement. Of course with an Aero, because of the better gearing, I would still save money as well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

What!? How can you say such a thing. It's one of Pinninfarina's finest and purest designs. Even if it does look like everything else he designed at the time ;-)

Good choices, but remember, if you're buying a 75, don't spend top money

- keep a good few hundred in reserve to get it right.

Ewwww.

Keep telling yourself that, you might even convince yourself ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I've been thinking that.

Yeah, I know, bit "Poor mans Cosworth" worse than a Poor mans Porsche, but the parts would be cheap and any chimp can swap the parts.

Thats the problem. I must restrict my self to 2 litres, and no turbo.

But I like bigger engines and I like forced induction. I can't help myself.

Has anyone ever supercharged an Alfa V6?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't know about Supercharging, but they were turbo-ed by Autodelta.

Reply to
SteveH

The 1.8 Twin Cam was turbo'd in Italy by Alfa.. drove a 75 Turbo in Greece once, rather amusing..

Reply to
Pete M

I saw one for sale recently. Supposedly immaculate, low mileage Italian import. Up for £1500. To say I was tempted would be an understatement.

With only 150-ish bhp, it's only about the same as my 2lt TSpark, but I suspect it's all in the delivery.

Reply to
SteveH

Very sideways if you can predict the turbo...

Reply to
Pete M

Hmm, nice.

But then I get back to my drink problem.

I reckon a nice supercharged TS, or V6 give me plenty of steady smooth=20 extra hoof when I want it, instead of launching me into orbit when I=20 plant it.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

You mean something like this one?

Are you tempted? are you sir?

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

Just get yourself an AX 1.5D and be done with it! It'll cost you pennies to get to work and back, and have a proper car for weekends/project use.

Reply to
Dan405