Just been doing some detailing.

Canada is quite a strange place for weather - for instance, BC has the snowy regions which are stereotypical Canada, all the forests you'd need and a desert with rattle snakes and everything! Yes, winters can be harsh, for instance, my mate in Edmonton has experienced a few days where is gets to minus 46 Celsius with the wind chill (they also have these phenomena called 'Chinooks' where warm air comes in and melts all the snow for a day, it can go from minus 20 to plus 20 for a day, then the cold comes back and everything is covered in sheet ice). In the summer it is as hot as Africa. Vancouver isn't quite as extreme, being on the water, so in the winter there may not be any snow in the city, but a 20 minute bus ride will put you on top of Grouse Mountain in a few metres of the stuff. Not to mention the ski bunnies!

Have a look at the govt. website and see what the criteria are.

Reply to
conkersack

Look, just 'cos you live on some godforsaken sun-scorched pimple on the arse end of the world... :-P

Reply to
Albert T Cone

As I understand it, there's a whole lot of immigration hoops you have to jump though if you want to go to the states for anything other than a holiday.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes. Lots. There are not quite so many if you marry an American.

Mind you, have you seen the paperwork to move to Wales?

Reply to
DervMan

I thought it was bad enough that if you want to go on holiday there, and have been arrested - not convicted, just arrested, even if you were subsequently acquitted and completely exonerated - you have to go to the embassy in London and be fingerprinted and interviewed.

(somebody please tell me I'm wrong about this - I'd be very happy if I was. Not that I've been arrested, but it just all seems so terribly wrong).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I never looked into that one. Somehow Wales has never held the same lure for me.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Me neither. I've seen Torchwood. :)

Reply to
DervMan

It doesn't get pretty but I don't know the details.

Reply to
DervMan

Read any of Malcolm Pryce's books?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Heh, I've got relations who are living and working in Boston.

AIUI, if you work in the states and aren't a US Citizen, you have to reapply for a visa every so often, to reapply, you have to go to an interview in the US embassy in London (if you're British). To get an appointment you have to phone a premium rate (£1.50/min) number which doesn't accept calls from outside the UK ~2 months in advance to get an appointment. There's no guaruntee that they'll renew your visa which is a bit stressful if you have a job and own property etc. and if you miss the appointment your chances of ever being let back in go down even further.

Arranging your visit and subsequently visiting the embassy in this country fairly eats into one's generous 12 days annual leave entitlement.

Having said that, I don't know anyone who has tried working in any other country as a non-native, so it might not be so bad in this age of heightened terror alert.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No. Shall have to look his work up.

I did visit Wales for the night once.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Wales: it's like Scotland, but warmer.

Reply to
SteveH

...And without Glasgow.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Glasgow: It's like Newport but.....no, it's just like Newport.

Reply to
SteveH

I bet it isn't.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I was being polite to Glasgow there.

There's lots of similarities, though - tramps and alkies on the street, tracksuit wearing druggies.

Reply to
SteveH

i aint that clever and prefere the secure income although these days no job is secure like in the old days :(

Reply to
Vamp

without the scotish bastards course :)

Reply to
Vamp

Guess it depends what trade you're in but my SO (who lives near Daytona) finds it very hard to find another job. Hard enough to go and look for something else further west again.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

You are a web developer? You can have a VERY secure self employed future. And you can earn much more than you can working for someone else. But its your choice.

Reply to
Burgerman