MK1 Subaru Imprezas

Oi, Dan, don't be talking sense in here!

I've not noticed any problems with the 1.7 Puma, never met anyone who's blown the engine in one, and don't know any welders who're snowed under by 'em.

The 1.7 lump was detuned to 125 bhp or so because they were going to put the "full power" one in the Racing Puma. Then they decided that the Racing Puma couldn't have full power either because then it'd compete with the RS Focus so that ended up stuck with 150 bhp.

They're like engines built by a certain other company that shall remain nameless - if you don't check the oil regularly and service them properly, they go bang. With the "other company" products that isn't the fault of the car, it's the fault of the owner, but because the Puma is a Ford it doesn't appear to work that way.

Having said that, I've yet to visit a scrapyard that has more Pumas than "Other company" produce. :-)

Reply to
Pete M

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I thought the 1.7, like the 1.25, was Yam designed and built?

Reply to
Adrian

Don't know where it's built or who builds it, but it was a Mazda / Yamaha development.

Reply to
SteveH

Do a Hightower (Police Academy) and drive it from the back seat?

Reply to
PCPaul

I respect the man who can admit he likes Clios more than the man who's car 'dilemma' causes him to start a new thread every 3 days for months on end about what car someone else's money is going to buy him godammit.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I saw a few badly chavved and rusty Pumas when I was in the market for a manly runabout.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Which now includes your Dad's old one :-)

Though it's not used in the slightest for farming duties, and gets kept clean, and pretty well cared for.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Pah!

There would be about 5 posts in the last month if someone hadn't started threads to get people talking.

Reply to
SteveH

Yep. Get a 1.7 Fiesta instead.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

I'm just up the road from you, and have one of them......

Reply to
AstraVanMann

It was a collaberation iirc. I don't really know/care that much though heh - it saves arguments to call it the Yamaha engine because then people can say Fords are shit and can't design their own engines. As if it even matters in the slightest when you're buying a car heh. Wonder how many snotty Jag owners know there is French input in their Diesel Jag heh.

Reply to
DanB

Yup - the 2.7 Lion V6 has some packaging constraints supplied by PSA. Other than that it's entirely a Dagenham/Whitley development :-)

Reply to
Andy Tucker

;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

And it's not as if you do a shedload of miles. I've been doing 700 miles a week, and often used to do about 400 miles a week purely visiting mates when I was 18 or so.

Reply to
Doki

Yea I used to do loads more, dunno why really but I don't seem to do half as many now, aside from last months 2800 of course.

Reply to
DanB