off all the mad cars I've considered.

probably one of the more sensible in terms of economy and reliability. Proper taxi driver chic, just needs a beaded seat cover and a fake whip antenna.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A Nissan Laural (silver) Medallist... ffs...

Now, if only you knew another used-car dealer from Merseyside that you could get to pop round and haggle with the vendor on your behalf...

Reply to
Adrian

For now I'm sticking with the Saab, with fuel dropping a little, and new radio making it a nicer place to be and the alarm now seemingly fixed, I'm feeling a little more love for it.

Reply to
Elder

----========-------------=============------------======

For a few quid more you could get a proper 1, a gold meadallist.

Reply to
Les Ross

I think keeping the Saab is quite possibly a good idea.

Had a one owner, 54000 miles, 93'L' 900S 16v 3dr in the garage for MOT. I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner car, this thing was completely and utterly unmarked inside and out, not even a rusty screw on it, not a mark on the wheels under the wheeltrims. The only giveaway that it had ever been run before was the exhaust manifold.

You could take it to a Saab concourse event and win without any doubt.

Third brilliant classic we've had in this week for MOT. One was a 1951 Jag XK120 that was perfect but needed a quick wash, then the Saab, then this morning a near perfect '85 Jag Sovereign V12 S3.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

900S - so that'd be an LPT?

Doesn't take much to make 'em full-fat, y'know...

Reply to
Adrian

Heh, wasn't a turbo one. Unfortunately it was the most poverty spec 900 I've ever seen, had a sunroof, but no rear wiper, mega base spec.

Oh, just been reading something that I think you'll enjoy immensely (and I'm serious about this..)

Pete M

Is a 1993 L reg Saab really a classic...?

Reply to
DanB

Nope, but it was cleaner than your Clio, so it's got to have some bonus points. This week, I'm going to call it a classic - next week it'll be 'old tat'. It's Saab's good week, haven't you heard?

Reply to
Pete M

Any other time of my ownership, I'd mock you into the ground for the huge wrongness of that comment. But at this exact point in time, you're right, and you know why, you bastard :-p

Hmmmm. Although Saabs have always had cred for the bangerlovers round here anyway.

Reply to
DanB

if it's cavalier based certainly not - ever. 93 was the crossover year....they do make good value beaters though..

Classics are a 1978 design (basically 1968 if you include the 99)..

Reply to
john

Well, as it is a 900 of the old variety, originally launched at the end of the 70's and only featuring minor changes for 20 years, yes it is.

A 1994 NG900 isn't yet.

Reply to
Elder

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ah. A 900i S - non-turbo but with the aero bodykit tupperware?

Very, very few ever had a rear wiper. It was mainly a dealer accessory.

You're not wrong...

Reply to
Adrian

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ish.

It's not a Cavalier-900, but the last of the "proper" 900s. They're definitely on the fringes of classic status, but a non-turbo's not really there.

Reply to
Adrian

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And never will be. It's a dreadful car.

Reply to
Adrian

You know though, that surviving examples of horrible cars are the mainstay of the classic industry, only becoming great drives the addition of rose tinted string back gloves.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I know... It's hilarious.

Reply to
Adrian

I enjoyed that too :-)

"An old 2CV is unbelievably crap in every single way imaginable. And I loved it."

Sound familiar does it hehe ;-) ?

Reply to
DanB

That led me to this:

'My eyes!'

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Certainly does.

Reply to
Adrian