Ok now children...

...see if you can spot the not so deliberate mistake:

First look at this:

Now, look at this:
I guess he must have *really* missed it...

Reply to
JackH

That's very suspicious indeed...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Love also the 'unleaded' Should really have said 'unsulphured' given the possible problems with these Nikasil engines...

Cheap car with a reserve of less than 1500. Wonder what's wrong with it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

nope cant spot it, apart from the same number of owners but he could be a dealer??

am i really that blind??

Mark

Reply to
MarkC

Yes, you are. Look again, noting the ebay ID of the sellers and buyers/winning bidders.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And very dumb, too.

Reply to
JackH

Oh... it's one of those, is it.

Doh.

I keep looking at these as a possible purchase at some stage next year.

Personally, I'm swaying towards an Audi A8 4.2, if I can scrape enough money together.

One sold on there this week in what looked like good nick, for £2k, on an M plate, and with sensible miles.

Reply to
JackH

To you, maybe.

Clean, genuinely well looked after ones with plenty of history still fetch half decent money... and an M reg one isn't exactly what you'd class as an old one really, is it.

No... I'm set on an A8 4.2, tbh, if I'm going to go back down this route once the 525i has gone.

Far less 'common' than a gaggle of old Mercs and BMWs or rotten XJ40s... ;-)

Reply to
JackH

*cough* photos :-)

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in its lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes... I was going to email you earlier, to apologise for not having done any as of yet.

The trouble is, we're well busy at work this week - major customer has dumped a major amount of multidrop on us, so I'm sort of rolling out of bed, straight into the Golf, then getting back after dark.

At the very latest, Saturday morning!

Reply to
JackH

Well, given that high sulphur petrol hasn't been on sale here for many a year, I'd say any Nikasil engine surviving is likely to be ok. But a good bargaining point when buying. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeed, wonder if they just go porous to upset the petrol companies.

Reply to
Pete M

Only scruffy ones. Decent ones get decent money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have to say I'm slightly confused about how you can have a starting bid of

1200 and then only one bid, of 1700... If I am the only bidder, my bid will be the starting bid, no?
Reply to
Questions

Well... what he's done you see, is bid more than the reserve.

And he knew what that was, cos he's the owner by looks of it...

Reply to
JackH

Um... I've bid on ebay and failed to win the item because the reserve was higher than my bid. It hasn't mattered that my "bid up to" was higher, it's remained on the start bid.

Reply to
Questions

Yes... and you've answered your question in that one sentence.

I think you've got your wires crossed, tbh

Reply to
JackH

But when you place a bid on eBay, you only specify a maximum you are prepared to bid, not your actual bid - eBay automatically increments your bid when there is competition from other bidders, otherwise it would just stay on the starting bid, regardless of the maximum you specified.

In this case, since there had only been 1 bid, it _should_ have been at the starting price, and nothing the bidder could do could increase that, until there was competition from other bidders. For some reason it wasn't which, as snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com said, is a bit odd.

Reply to
albert

I'd ring big alarm bells and shout "Oi NO!" at you. A friend had an S8 which he was ever so proud of. It's a truly horrible, awful, dismal, depressing, pointless car.

The "leather" is far too shiny, you slide all over the place on the big flat seat designed for big fat German arses. The suspension sucks, it coudl be replaced using a couple of bricks and it would be just as effective and the interior has the ambience of a 1970s repmobile.

Avoid it, get a nice car with the money.

Reply to
Steve Firth

*sigh*

So who is to say the bidder in this case only bid £1700?

Maybe he bid £2000... whatever, he's bid enough to hit the reserve which we can now safely assume was set at £1700, and thus that is why the first bid shows as £1700 rather than the £1200 start price.

Read this:

and only then continue to argue against the obvious if you really must.

Reply to
JackH