Opinions please

Do you bugger. You make sure that base boost is set correctly and tweak the APC if it is a full pressure turbo, or fit a Dawes device and intercooler if it is an LPT. Never use a bleed valve. Hideous things that increase lag, slow down response and add to the risk of blowing something up.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

RWD alone does not make a ''drivers car.

Mk3 Cavalier was great in its time (until '94), much better than the Sierra.

I do actually like them, though my comments could be taken as indicating otherwise. Most of the best 'masculine' styled cars do have a touch of ugliness about their design, that's what makes them so attractive.

I just think that, on that basis, the Saab 900 must have been one of the most masculine cars available :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

The one I had use of *was* a turbo.

20mpg, most of the time.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I suspect you drove it somewhat more spiritedly ;) I have full confident I'd get sub 20mpg from one, hell, I get sub 30 from a 206 XSi...

Reply to
DanTXD

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

I managed a fantsastic 18mpg driving from Oxford to Skipton in one once. OK, it was xmas day and really quiet :-)

Os

Reply to
Senor Osito

Great cars, those. :-D

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk

My VTEC GTi seemed to be quite happily destroying a tank of fuel at a frighteningly quick rate before the CV joint gave up.

Still... was quite a fun place to be, and noticeably quicker than the other GTi I've got. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Ah, but I grew up in with this era of Citroens!! And my dad is a trained Citroen mechanic!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not at all. Got a couple I'm very tempted by!!

Yep. He disappeared after the selling of the white XR4x4. Now he may return :)

Big barge with RWD and nice engines.

Not as fragile as you may think, or so I believe

Expensive? Surely a new engine will cost about 3p?

Go on Vamp, you know you want to :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Avon ZV1's on the hardtop I think. The convetible isn't pushed so hard.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I did get the Celica down to 16mpg one week. So it isn't like I don't play in the traffic. Overtaking everything possible as quickly as possible within the limit is something I like to do. I like to see the boost gauge needle lurch toward the top as much as possible. And the sound of the turbo spooling is very, very nice.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Not at that time. It wasn't the cost (about £900), but the going sideways down the A19 past a couple of very worried looking geriatrics. Who had reason to be worried about 50yds later when we made close acquaintance ;-(

David

Reply to
David Lane

Great machines.

The rest's a bit grim though...

Difficult to get excited about those.

P6 is *much* nicer. German V8s are probably a better bet - E3[2,4,8] [5,7]40i, W126, A8 - silly cheap too.

Not seen a 505 in yonks, nice if you can find one.

Nice ones ain't cheap - V8 5ers and 7ers are better value

Never did it for me.

A transaxle GTV6 would be splendid. Guliettas are prettier and still great fun.

Me? I like German I6s and V8s... :)

Alistair J Murray
[...]

2.2i I4 IIRC, decently quick too. A
Reply to
Alistair J Murray

I went to look at 3 or 4 of these a while back. Everyone wanted *way* too much for them IMO. They also rot more than I'd like. If you can find a good one for the right price though, they're pretty entertaining. There's also all the complication of it having a turbo and being an old banger, so I expect it could get dear to fix.

Reply to
Doki

Also quite fancied one of these. Still do. Bit like a golf with a boot :P. I suspect a *lot* have the full barry boy / drug dealer treatment. Get one with an LSD.

Reply to
Doki

Had one: 200 HP, rollcage and the interior stripped (darked the rear windows a bit to hide the cage), Peogeot Sport gearbox (received as a gift!) with LSD.

Porsche-beater in acceleration (on dry road). Couldn't stand the ugliness after a while, sold the shell, kept engine and gearbox for when I have plenty of time.

Heavier but nicer and better build: the Pug 405 Mi16.

Never been a fan of them: good engine though.

Hmm, your choice.

Great car but very, and I mean very, poor build quality. Rusts while you are looking.

Heavy barge. Find a Turbo, better still: forget about them.

Say more: M3. One of the best cars ever made. Don't buy the 325 because you will forever regret not to have the M3. And while regretting you will add M3- pieces like the diff etc...

Nope: "only" 175 HP out of 2 liter. Needs a lot of fuel. French built meaning about the same as the Rover SD1. Money pit if crashed of trashed (which will be very likely)

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder. I like them a lot, an awfull lot even.

V6 is heavy (heavy steering too), a better choice in the 2.0 TS of -if you can find the engine the 1.8l Turbo. V6 was (in the UK) quite often tossed for the more powerfull and lighter V8 Rover and if allowed (by law and budget) worth considering.

After 1989 no more problems with rust; one wonders why.

Believe me: a 75 on speed wipes the raod clear in front of you. Quite agressif car, very safe in crashes (been there). You like electrics, don't you? Well: in an alfa you'll have to (toss them out).

but FWD. In the wet spins wheels up to third gear.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I like the looks, so it's all good for me!

Indeed. A mate's been persuading me to try a Cav too, but I dont think I wanna go that far!

:)

I'd call that a 'project' :)

I've found a nice GTi, but they're a bit slow for my liking. Not gonna forgot about them I'm afraid

M3 for < £1k? I think not. A 325i Sport or 325i with the LSD would be plenty for me. I tend to get bored after about 6 months anyway.

I thought they were bigger than 2 litre? 2.1?

Seen a nice looking 2.0TS in CCW. Tempted to have a look

But that's funny! Hooligan car!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

2.1? Is that based on the same block as the 2.1TD perchance?
Reply to
AstraVanMan

No idea, I could be making it up. In fact, looking at the specs I do appear to be making it up :(

Still, 2.0l 8v with 175bhp isnt too shabby for a 20 year old car. Of course, the chances of it actually making that now are probably remote :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs