OT: A non-Vamp type ban

It's almost as logical as banning a completely legal activity from private premises.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, but see... you cited vehicles as a polluter as a direct comparison to a smoker - a car has a catalyst, therefore the smoker, as in the source of the pollution, also has the filtration kit fitted... :-P

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

What does it's current legality have to do with it? Slavery was completely legal before it was banned. As was forgery, murdering spouses and fiddling your electric meter.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Then let's cut out the bollocks and make cigarettes illegal, then.

Reply to
SteveH

You're coming round :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Shhhhhh!

He was beginning to shut up. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I'm not sure I like the sound of that. Where would all the tax come from? Nah, I'm happy as long as they don't do it near me. Of course I never complain, even if they do :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Not according to the figures I've been able to find, Smoking related deaths in England - 86500 Alcohol related deaths in England - 6150 (Figures are for 1 year)

Reply to
Jack

The trouble with defining 'smoking related deaths' is that they're very non-specific.

Alcohol related death is much easier to diagnose.

Reply to
SteveH

That's got nothing to do with anything, smoking tax is a stupidity tax, not something that goes towards helping people smoke*.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

How about, my house, my rules. Either you want my money or you don't.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Nope, they will just go out into the cold and wet, get wet, then come back into the dry pub and stand there smelling of damp as well as smoke

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Get ready to man the barricades then It seems modified vehicles may need to pass SVA Type approval if they=20 are to remain legal, and then get a Q plate.

"Rebuilt Vehicles Background

  1. A rebuilt vehicle may keep its identity provided it retains enough=20 of the original components, including the unmodified or new=20 chassis/monocoque body-shell. It must also contain at least two major=20 components from the original vehicle. The major components are currently=20 considered to be the suspension (front and back), axles (both),=20 transmission, steering assembly, engine. If a second-hand or modified=20 chassis/monocoque body-shell is used, a ?Q? registration mark will be=20 issued and the vehicle will be subject to type approval."

Just remember, a modified Chassis/monocoque body-shell could equally=20 include fitting proper welding in flared wheel wells, as it involves=20 cutting the unitary body structure.

But a set of plastic extensions slapped on with some filler and a bit of=20 silicon by Neddy the Nova driver wouldn't be, yet they could and=20 probably would come loose and be thrown into the patch of another=20 vehicle or a pedestrian. The properly converted car would be penalised,=20 but the shoddily tampered with bucket of rust would be exempt.

So get ready. Nobody wants a Q plate when the car is safe, legal and of=20 definate heritage, just because the engine came out of a 1974 Escort=20 isntead of a 1946 Pop if the rest of the car has been safely updated to=20 match. But even other safety related alterations may be enough to render=20 the vehicle illegal unless it can pass SVA. Sometimes it is necessary to=20 substitute a non standard part, because there are no standard parts=20 left.

BTW, SVA would require a 1940/50/60/70's car to pass modern safety=20 standards including emissions, impact protection, corner radius of=20 protruding edges/bolts/panels etc. Something the car was never designed=20 to was, and has never been required to.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

And they don't include "drunk cut victim's throat with a broken beer bottle".

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

So how exactley does "close their pubs" mean pubs have become no smoking and smokes are using them smoke free?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Actually it is a tax on the sick. Addiction is an illness (whether it is tobacco, or alcohol as your legal drug of choice). You might be stupid for starting, but once you are hooked, you are ill and you are taxed for being ill.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Already going to happen in Ireland, so it shouldn't be long before it happens over here too.

Comfortably Numb

Why is there a need to ban smoking in pubs, clubs and private memebers clubs (apart from the house of commons bar, where smoking will still be permitted.)? Surely it should be up to each individual place to decide whether to allow smoking or not. Unfortunately, in this day and age it appears we aren't grown up enough to allow things like that and need the government to legislate against every thing for us.

As for drinking, there might not be the health costs involved in this activity but what about related costs, such as the extra policing required over weekends, what about the increase in so called "date rape" cases brought about by alcohol, what about the rise in scirrosis of the liver amongst young women, what about the cost to the NHS of all those wheeled through A&E because of drink related incidents?

The government, and various quangos with a vested interest in banning smoking, have demonised smoking for years, and now they have achieved their goal. Do you really think they will stop at this?

Reply to
Comfortably Numb

The key difference is that if someone chooses to drink so much that they destroy their liver i dont have to either suffer while they do it or suffer ill health from it.

Reply to
Burgerman

£20 billion for drinking

£1.4 billion - £1.7 billion per year for smoking

Reply to
Comfortably Numb