[OT] Are any of you guys web designers?

If he wants a cheap effective tool for website design, I recommend Namo WebEditor. It has everything on one package that's necessary to build a simple (or not so simple) website, including some halfway decent templates.

The best feature (IMO) is the WebCanvas image editor package. This supports vector graphics with a really good range of fills/blends/styles which produced good looking graphics. These can then be rendered as GIF/JPEG/PNG.

The advantage is that you can create page elements which look good and be able to edit them quickly if necessary. I find this very useful for designing buttons for example where the text on the buttons changes.

Other than that, as others have said keep it simple and preferably look at some good websites to see how they are laid out before starting.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Give us your mate's email address then so he can be contacted direct. It's easier to speak to the person that wants the site as he will know what he wants.

Reply to
John

So the website is for you and not your mate then. Why do people always say they are asking on behalf of a friend? Why does "your friend" want a website if he doesn't have Internet access and can't be contacted by email because you don't know who he is. How would he check the content or respond to emails from the site. If YOU want the site just say so and it will be easier to tell you what to use. I can't be doing with all this imaginary friend business.

Reply to
John

I'd normally warrant this with a sensible reply, mentioning things like the fact that a lot of small companies may have a website as an advertising tool, but not have any computers at all that they use on a daily basis (or even occasionally), and don't need to have emails forwarded from the website, but instead:

Chris/Ken, just piss off back into the hole from whence you crawled.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Why would be post the email on Usenet where spambots can get it? Surely it's better just to forward it on to anyone who can help.

Reply to
DanTXD

Just

Fuck